CNS*2020 O7: 'Awake Delta' and Theta-Rhythmic Modes of Hippocampal Network Activity Track Intermittent Locomotor Behaviors in Rat

‘Awake Delta’ and Theta-Rhythmic Modes of Hippocampal Network Activity Track Intermittent Locomotor Behaviors in Rat - Nathan Schultheiss

2 Likes

very interesting Nathan - will need to look at your papers closely.

am interested to know more about your spectrogram and analyses - is that in your paper?

1 Like

Hi Frances! Yes, it’s in the paper (pdf is up now at Behavioral Neuroscience, but I’ll send it to you)… but really, it’s a pretty simple idea that I think can have considerable utility- I’m using it now in collaboration with 3 labs and on quite a few datasets. Here’s the rub: take the power spectral density from LFP traces of roughly 1 or 2 seconds using a sliding window across a whole session; use you favorite clustering algorithm to group them into ‘putative network modes’ of computation or functional activity that can be distinguished based on the frequency content of the LFP. The type of clustering algorithm you choose and the parameters of your clustering will provide limitless flexibility for asking different kinds of questions and focusing on different frequency bands. This essentially give a PSD based definition of a ‘mode’ and gives the time stamps when each mode occurs during a recording session. Then, correlate the incidence of the modes or their features with simultaneous behavioral data or other neural measures. I’m using the same strategy to define ‘circuit modes’ based on clustering coherence spectra…

2 Likes

thanks Nathan - appreciated.

take care, Frances

1 Like