GSoC 2020 project idea 9: Realtime simulations

Yes I was referring to #1162. Thanks. But I am encountering an error while running the command “pip install -e .

Well, I’m afraid I can’t help you without further information… What error do you get?

I get the following error:

It seems as if there’s a problem with the Cython/C++ compilation. For the runtime mode this is not necessarily a problem – like the message says, it can use a pure Python version. For the standalone mode, you’ll necessarily need a working Visual Studio installation, though. You don’t need to install everything, the “Build Tools for Visual Studio” with the C++ compiler should be enough (see the Python wiki for details).

Okay. Thank you for pointing out the problem. Just for learning purpose, is there a specific reason why it doesn’t work with minGW installed?

There’s no real good reason for it not working with minGW, it’s simply due to a lack of resources ( if I remember correctly, building C extensions with minGW was quite complicated back in the days when we started. It’s probably easier now.). In runtime mode, it should be possible to compile things with minGW by setting the codegen.cpp.compiler preference to 'gcc'. However, in standalone mode we unfortunately hardcoded a number of if sys.platform == 'win32' checks that then assume the use of Visual Studio. Does sys.platform return 'win32' on minGW? If not, it might actually already work.

Okay. I’ll try to see if it works.