GSoC 2021 Project Idea 20.2: Brainbox projects - Brain Histology Metadata DB: Building an online database for storing, curating and sharing metadata from diverse collections of histological data

Thank you for your questions and thinking this through. As Roberto suggested, it would be great if you’d share the google documents for your application with us. It is great to see to see them all grow as we go :slight_smile: So don’t be afraid to share them early on – we are very happy to help!

To summarise conversations and get back to a few questions:
No, there is no github project as this project will start with you working on it :slight_smile:
We had a video conference in the beginning, but haven’t planned another one for the moment. Would it be okay if we try to synchronise about your projects in writing?
The best place to answer questions for the project is here on the neurostars platform, and for the ones more specific to your application you can ping us from your google docs while work in progress. So please ping us here @KL13NT @Vamsi995 @infern018 .

For getting started – this question is so large that I struggle how to answer. The global idea is summarised in our project description and for the parts that leave you in doubt it would help us a lot if you had more concrete questions :slight_smile: Many aspects are noted here in the framapad where we took notes during our video conference: Framapad mensuel . It has links to several lists/databses that we thought could be good examples (NCBR database with criteria selection: meta data of all individuals; the Brainmuseum website with histology, photographs of the species, brain size measurements as inspirations), and the framapad also summarises the main challenges (making a unified database with many metadata which researchers can query, (such as species names, specimenID codes, age and sex of the specimen; then some methodological fields like the staining method used, a small preview image of the data, and if it is possible to share the real data, then the link to the real data, and if not, then info on who to contact to ask for permission to the data. So, you need to make a database, and a way to query this database :slight_smile:
We also discussed using RRID (RRID | Welcome...) → if brains are identified in this way, they’d become part of a whole research universe <3. We discussed the nature of the data which should go into the database (images, annotations (svg / voxels volumes), and metadata text.
and we also added a TODO: data visible and easy to get which summarises the main points we are interested in.

I hope that helps. But the more precise you asl, the better we can answer and help you along. :slight_smile: We are really excited to work with you!

2 Likes

also: hello @Vamsi995 – you joined rather recently. Thank you for your interest in our project <3 nice to meet you :slight_smile:

The best is, to ask your questions here :slight_smile: And if you think they are too specific, please share your google doc with us (you can share the link here, or in linkedin or our email)

Hi! I can be contacted here.

2 Likes

Hi @katjaq @rto @Alexandra_de_Sousa
Here is the link to my draft proposal
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1eEai7VnblN7ecAoJv0JhZEPPyXDh8tdgSf2viLfNYDc/edit?usp=sharing

Please review it and any type of suggestions are greatly welcomed.
It would help me to improve it further before final posting

Thank you in advance and have a great day :smile: :smile:

1 Like

Hi @Alexandra_de_Sousa

Is this your email :a.desousa@bathspa.ac.uk

So i could enable access to you as well…:grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

Thank you @chetanya_tomar for sharing your proposal doc! :slight_smile: We’ll go have a look and leave our thoughts and comments in the doc directly. :slight_smile: ! We also encourage everyone to post their proposals in the GSoC platform, and we can edit the google doc still :wink:

And something important to you all: Thank you so much for your great and hard work! :star_struck: GSoC will have to take you all !! :wink:

1 Like

@chetanya_tomar I added Alexandra :slight_smile:

1 Like

@katjaq Thank you so much ma’am​:star_struck::grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes::grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Hello dear @malin and @arnab1896 , from the stark variation of proposal length we have seen, it seems GSoC does not give any page min/max limit – could you please advise us on an approximate length that is usual for successful proposals? it leaves us a bit lost in terms of details that may be required or not, etc :slight_smile: Just roughly an advice from your side would be great :slight_smile: Thanks so much

hello @infern018 @chetanya_tomar
I cannot seem to find your proposals inside the GSoC platform. I wanted to leave you all a comment there as well, as we heard that GSoC likes to see action there as well between mentors and students :wink: but i cannot find you. i am excited about all your projects! i would like all of you to create your submission entry, and we can keep working on the draft until deadline! :slight_smile:

@katjaq Sorry ma’am, I’ll upload it right now​:sweat_smile::sweat_smile:

@arnab1896
hello Arnab, just need a little help,can you please tell me whether I have to put my cv/resume inside my proposal, or should I just link it to the proposal…?

Hi Katja, if they follow our template they will end up with at least 2-3 pages unless they are very brief. I would say 1 page is too little (half of it will be contact details), more than 7-8 pages is excessive. Maybe ask them, to aim for 3 pages of which at least one is their roadmap with time estimates for each step? And then add more pages if they need a lot of illustrations.

1 Like

Please put everything in the proposal including CV. That is the most foolproof way. /Malin

1 Like

This is fantastic! Thank you so much for clarification! (How do I ping everyone in this conversation? :eyes::smiley: most of our students were linking to their CV living as website outside of the proposal. I will tell them <3 Thank you Malin :slight_smile:

Hello dear all!

It was amazing to work with you all on your fantastic proposals! \ö// Please feel free to submit final any time now :smiley: Roberto and I will be in a conference for the next 4 h. But all your work looks great. <3 so please go ahead and submit. For anything urgent, ping us directly please using @

Thank you! Looking forward to working with you!! :yellow_heart:
Good luck to all of you!! :sparkles:

3 Likes

Hello hello, I am lost between the 3 project channels :see_no_evil:

Thank you for your great work everyone!! 5 minutes to go!! you got this!!! :smiley: make sure the application is “final” :slight_smile:

:four_leaf_clover::four_leaf_clover::four_leaf_clover::crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers:good luck

2 Likes

Hey everyone, I just wanted to thank you all for the sheer amount of effort you put into this, and into providing us, the mentees, such a great experience. I honestly didn’t expect this amount of welcoming and support from any organization, but you exceeded all my expectations.

From having meetings dedicated to answering our questions to spending time and effort to improve our proposals, and I can’t be any more grateful. I was worried at first, but the first time I got to talk with you and regardless of whether I’m accepted into the program, it warmed my heart and introduced me to a welcoming community that I’m forever grateful for. It’s been a fun learning journey so far.

Thank you.
Nabil

CC: @katjaq @rto Alexandra_de_Sousa malin (Can’t mention more than 2, sorry!)

1 Like

Excuse me, but I’d like an explanation if possible. I submitted a proposal for this project, 20.2: Brain Histology Metadata. But the project isn’t even up on the organization page on Google Summer of Code’s website. What happened? Aren’t projects a determined list of whatever the organization will be working on with students during GSoC? Am I understanding this correctly?