GSoC 2023 Project Idea 13.1 A social-web tool to facilitate rating and commenting on research reports (350 h)

2 and 3. for future.

Regarding 1, no … they wont have to go through openreview at all. OpenReview is only for certain conferences at the moment. We already have potential tie-ins with some communities, which will mean that communities (journals) and authors from that community (interetsed in publishing in that journal) will use hte platform.

Welcome aboard, @KritikaVerma . Please see the discussions on this page and feel free to ask questions, if any. Also, take a look at all the other INCF projects, including the other two I am a mentor on.

Sounds wonderful. Thanks for clearing that up. Is there any competency test for this project? Also what would be the preferred proposal discussion method?

No competency test really… but any demonstration that you know enough to execute this project will be useful. For example, if your GSoC proposal has a mock-up or sample code (posted on your Github/equivalent) or sufficiently densely detailed technical aspects of how you plan to implement this, it would help.

We can communicate via this portal. You can direct-message me when needed.

Hi, I am jyothi swaroop. I am interested in this project. I have few doubts over it.
Can we also provide comments option to the original commenter. So that, It can give better feedback over what community did not like about it or any suggestions. Or should it be just like rating thing?

Hi Arnab & Suresh & JB! I’m actually not a student, so I don’t know if I’m eligible.

I love the idea of open research reports. But I’m curious to learn more about what you envision the tool to be & how it fits in. What is missing from OpenReview right now?

• For the manuscript submission, does OpenReview currently allow that? Is the idea to make it even eeasier to submit manuscripts?
  • For the reviewing/quality-ranking, are we talking about a way to submit the reviews that we see on papers? Are we imagining a different design?

Best,
Zen

Update: after reading the comments above, I think I understand it better!!

• The idea is to build out a separate commenting/reputation/meta system. Users can have reputations/memberships. Users can join groups (“journals”), comment on articles, vote on which articles to endorse in their journal, and then authors will be able to select which journal to officially publish an article. (all this data will only be available on this system, and not OpenReview?)
  • However, the articles themselves will be posted to OpenReview.

But now I have a few more questions!

• So… what is the main pain point that we are encountering, since we currently do not have this reputation platform? (Is it spammy reviews? or just like… it’s hard to tell what people think of articles?)

Cheers!

1 Like

The idea is to give detailed comments. And comments on comments. Everything can be rated. Please see the Github. It is like Stack Overflow or Reddit.

@Zen_Tang - you are eligible, as long as you are not very experienced with open-source projects. You do not have to be a student. Welcome aboard.

Thanks for the questions and for reading through. Yes, you have understood it correctly. Users can comment as part of a journal or by themselves - independently. And yes, all of this is independent of OpenReview.

It does not exist because a reputation-based platform has not been developed till now. Pure commenting systems were Pubmed Commons (died due to nobody using it, like comments sections that every journal has), PubPeer (used only for negative criticism), OpenReview (used by some conferences). Reputation allows one to filter spammy reviews. Having real-name known to system to be part of a community (journal) also allows one to do the same thing. Having real-name be invisible to community allows for fearless reviewing. Ability to earn a reputation gives one incentive to participate. And now that Twitter is not so fashionable, perhaps there is an incentive to move some of that conversation to a different portal, and have it be conducted in longer-form.

@suresh.krishna Hello! What web frameworks (frontend/backend) do you have in mind for this project?

@swaptr - for the proposal, you can propose based on your skills, preferences and judgement. the eventual decision will be based on multiple factors that we are still surveying at the moment.

1 Like

@swaptr - i am happy to comment on the feature-list that you propose based on our discussions above, so that our visions for the portal match.

Do you mean adding it here, github discussions or should I draft an early proposal?

You can add them here, discuss via DM here, and/or draft an early proposal on which I can give feedback.

1 Like

@suresh.krishna Does it allow users to add/upload their articles to the platform or it only fetch articles from openreview through the api?

@armanalam03 Please see the discussion above with swapnil as well as the portal. Both post and fetch, is the short answer.

Hello! My name is Dinakar. I am a final year student at NITC. First of all, this project sounds amazing and will be extremely useful since finding well-rated ones in the ocean of research papers is a daunting task!! Could you tell me where I can submit the early proposal I drafted to make sure my idealogies align with the possibilities you’re looking for?

1 Like

@Dinakar_Chennupati To me. Please go through the material on the Github carefully first.

@armanalam03 @pranavdhar @Anshuman_Swain @swaptr @KritikaVerma @JyothiSwaroopReddy07 @Zen_Tang @Dinakar_Chennupati - if you remain seriously interested in this project, and are not already in touch with me via message here, please get in touch. I will make updates later today to the Github with more details.

If there is anyone else who is interested, and whose name I have missed in the list in the previous paragraph, please let me know as well.

3 Likes

Hello…!!,
I am Shitij Agrawal from College Of Engineering Pune, I am Third Year Student persuing BTech in Computer Engineerign. I have goan through the entire decisscion and found this project intresting.
I have a proposal with essentials + some new ideas.
Hope it is not too late for this time …!!

@Shitij_Agrawal - no, it is not too late, welcome, but please go through the thread above.

1 Like