GSoC 2023 Project Idea 21.1 Open Source Brain cross simulator, large scale cortical models in NeuroML and PyNN

Hi @doorkn-b. Thanks for your interest.

This example would be highly relevant for you, as it has an XPP version of a model: PinskyRinzelModel/booth_bose.ode at master · OpenSourceBrain/PinskyRinzelModel · GitHub and the equivalent in LEMS: PinskyRinzelModel/pinskyRinzelCA3CellDL.xml at master · OpenSourceBrain/PinskyRinzelModel · GitHub, which has eventually ended up as a NML core cell type: Cells — NeuroML Documentation

1 Like

Hi @Aman123lug. Thanks for your interest in this project.

For this project it is very important for applicants to establish their knowledge of some aspects of computational neuroscience, or modelling in biology. You will need to be able to show you have an appreciation of the types of biological neuronal models that are out there and an idea of how these can be translated into NeuroML.

2 Likes

I learned all the essential aspects of computational neuroscience, or modeling in biology. I am just reading the necessary documentation about this. One question I write a proposal for this project I want to feed back from mentors. Can you please review my proposal before sending to google?

Hi all. Please submit your proposals well before the deadline on the GSoC site, where you can upload a draft pdf, which we can see and comment on.

It is very important though to demonstrate a clear knowledge in that of the current state of computational modelling in neuroscience, and have identified a list of (recent) models of the cortex (cells and or networks) from ModelDB which would benefit from conversion into NeuroML/PyNN, and oultline how you would go about doing that. Example code in a GitHub repo that you have created, making a start on converting a model to NeuroML (or even creating a toy model based on our examples) would significantly benefit your application.

1 Like

Okay! Before that I send my proposal for review can you please you it before I send to Google.
I created a demo PyNN model for models. In my proposal, I mentioned the approach only how I work on this project

Hey!
Thanks for the example. I was able to make good progress on my XPP model conversion. For the models I select, is there any specific type that I must adhere to or could I choose any?

In the essential information to include in application, what exactly does ‘Details on course currently being followed…’ refer to?

Is it upto us to choose whether we do a large project (375 hours) or the other? Following up on that, how many models should I include in my proposal if I were to do a 375 hour project?

Thanks!

I send you my draft proposal please review it. and give feedback on how can I improve the implementation part or something else. I created a toy model which is on my GitHub I tried to convert it into NeuroML format.

My research and I am working on a toy model.
Also, I Successfully build Strong knowledge about computational modeling in neuroscience.
For converting I am going to choose NeuroML
Once I have identified a list of candidate models, I would evaluate each model based on its scientific significance, complexity, and feasibility for conversion into NeuroML/PyNN. Models that have already been published in NeuroML/PyNN format or have previously been used in simulations with these tools would be given higher priority.
To convert a model from ModelDB into NeuroML/PyNN, I would first obtain the source code for the model and analyze its structure and dependencies. I would then use a NeuroML editor or converter tool to create a NeuroML version of the model, making any necessary modifications or adjustments to ensure that the model is accurately represented in the new format.
If the model is particularly complex or requires custom modifications, I may need to create a Python script to generate the NeuroML code programmatically. In this case, I would use a tool like PyNN to create a template script for the model, and then customize the script to include the specific parameters and equations required by the original model.
Thank you!

I have submitted my proposal (draft). Would appreciate any feedback.
Thanks.

Thanks for submitting your draft proposals everyone. We are very excited to go through them all. We’ll be going through them in due time to provide feedback.

In the meantime we did want to note that we’re likely going to be able to accept only one candidate here (if we make it through the ranking system and so on and receive any slots), so we encourage all candidates to please also apply to other projects that they are interested in. We always receive lots of great candidates and each year, we can only select one or two.

I am Successfully able to Simulate the models in local machine

Hello!
Apologies for appearing late! I have submitted my proposal on GSoC portal before the due date, after carefully working out a schedule for the project. I have gone through NeuroML documentation for this purpose and am currently taking deeper dive into associated tools. The previous year project has been a useful resource. I have made an account on OSB and linked it to my GitHub account.
Currently, I am working on some basic models. I am also reviewing literature to shortlist the ones that I want to work on during the project. Please share your valuable guidance!
I am deeply interested in neuroscience and computational aspects. The fascinating diversity of neuron models was indeed intriguing. I fully comprehend the importance of the task taken up here. Hoping to contribute to this endeavor by INCF!!!

1 Like

Thanks for your interest in the project @YashvitaS. Out of fairness to all candidates we will be assessing the applications at the time of submission, and any subsequent work won’t be taken into consideration when we select a candidate for this project.

1 Like

Dear all,

Thank you so much for your excellent applications. Unfortunately, the INCF did not get as many slots as we’d hoped and so we did not get any slots alloted for this particular project in this round. We hope you picked up some useful information while writing your proposals. While we cannot work with you at GSoC, if you are still interested in converting any models to NeuroML (if it’s for your academic work, for example), please do get in touch and we will be happy to guide you.

Thanks very much