antsBrainExtraction failure? Freesurfer does fine

Alright, I found our singularity config file on the cluster! Attached below, I think it’s to do with BIND PATH not having /scratch?
singularity.txt (6.5 KB)

But, using export SINGULARITYENV_TEMPLATEFLOW_HOME=/opt/templateflow singularity run -B ${HOME}/.templateflow:/opt/templateflow did enable it to run. But I run into this:

* BIDS dataset path: /mnt.
      * Participant list: ['CBPD0142'].
      * Run identifier: 20190716-194334_1d8cd3e6-a736-4ea7-b96c-9f33e358015d.

Process Process-2:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/miniconda/lib/python3.7/multiprocessing/process.py", line 297, in _bootstrap
    self.run()
  File "/usr/local/miniconda/lib/python3.7/multiprocessing/process.py", line 99, in run
    self._target(*self._args, **self._kwargs)
  File "/usr/local/miniconda/lib/python3.7/site-packages/fmriprep/cli/run.py", line 608, in build_workflow
    work_dir=str(work_dir),
  File "/usr/local/miniconda/lib/python3.7/site-packages/fmriprep/workflows/base.py", line 259, in init_fmriprep_wf
    use_syn=use_syn,
  File "/usr/local/miniconda/lib/python3.7/site-packages/fmriprep/workflows/base.py", line 551, in init_single_subject_wf
    skull_strip_template=skull_strip_template,
  File "/usr/local/miniconda/lib/python3.7/site-packages/smriprep/workflows/anatomical.py", line 305, in init_anat_preproc_wf
    template_list=vol_spaces)
  File "/usr/local/miniconda/lib/python3.7/site-packages/smriprep/workflows/norm.py", line 103, in init_anat_norm_wf
    'This is embarrassing - custom templates are not (yet) supported.'
NotImplementedError: This is embarrassing - custom templates are not (yet) supported.Please make sure none of the options already available via TemplateFlow fit your needs.

Am I missing a template, or is this a variation on the same error? I’m using --skull-strip-template MNIPediatricAsym:cohort-2 \ --output-spaces MNIPediatricAsym:res-2:cohort-2 T1w template fsaverage5 \

You seem to have HOME bound by default.

Then, it should be as easy as:

singularity exec --cleanenv fmriprep.simg python -c "from templateflow import api; print(api.get('MNIPediatricAsym', cohort=2, resolution=1, suffix='T1w'))"

Does that imply that I shouldn’t need this?

export SINGULARITYENV_TEMPLATEFLOW_HOME=/opt/templateflow
singularity run -B ${HOME}/.templateflow:/opt/templateflow

Because it seems I do, otherwise I get the read-only error.

I see templates being downloaded when I use that, but I still get the NotImplementedError: This is embarrassing - custom templates are not (yet) . After some experimenting, I can get past that error by stripping down my requested output spaces: removing --skull-strip-template MNIPediatricAsym:cohort-2, which seemed to be problematic, and then taking out template from the list of output spaces. I just now realized that template has been replaced by MNI152NLin2009cAsym, and that I need --skull-strip-template MNIPediatricAsym:res-2:cohort-2 and not just --skull-strip-template MNIPediatricAsym:cohort-2. It seems like for skull-strip-template the resolution has to be specified, which is a bit tricky as I couldn’t find that in the docs. On purpose, I assume?

Anyways, I’m running now, will see if this fixes the skull-stripping issue!

Alrighty, it’s working, but ran into a space error when downloading templateflow templates–not sure why. Although it’s not clear from the output, I assume they are being downloaded into /home/fmriprep/.cache/templateflow in the container. Is that true? It’d be nice to see where they were being written to-- they don’t seem to be written permanently anywhere outside the container that I can find (there is no /home/fmriprep folder outside the container), so I can’t figure out where they might be hitting mem limits…

190717-14:30:35,630 nipype.workflow WARNING:
	 Some nodes demand for more threads than available (1).
190717-14:30:36,317 nipype.workflow INFO:
	 [Node] Setting-up "fmriprep_wf.single_subject_CBPD0142_wf.func_preproc_task_rest_run_01_wf.func_derivatives_wf.raw_sources" in "/tmp/utooleyCBPD0142/fmriprep_wf/single_subject_CBPD0142_wf/func_preproc_task_rest_run_01_wf/func_derivatives_wf/raw_sources".
190717-14:30:36,319 nipype.workflow INFO:
	 [Node] Running "raw_sources" ("nipype.interfaces.utility.wrappers.Function")
190717-14:30:36,324 nipype.workflow INFO:
	 [Node] Finished "fmriprep_wf.single_subject_CBPD0142_wf.func_preproc_task_rest_run_01_wf.func_derivatives_wf.raw_sources".
Downloading https://templateflow.s3.amazonaws.com/tpl-MNI152NLin2009cAsym/tpl-MNI152NLin2009cAsym_res-01_desc-brain_mask.nii.gz
156B [00:00, 7.59kB/s]                   
Downloading https://templateflow.s3.amazonaws.com/tpl-MNI152NLin2009cAsym/tpl-MNI152NLin2009cAsym_res-01_T1w.nii.gz
 77%|███████▋  | 10.3k/13.4k [00:01<00:00, 9.04kB/s]190717-14:30:39,550 nipype.workflow WARNING:
	 [Node] Error on "fmriprep_wf.single_subject_CBPD0142_wf.anat_preproc_wf.anat_norm_wf.tpl_select" (/tmp/utooleyCBPD0142/fmriprep_wf/single_subject_CBPD0142_wf/anat_preproc_wf/anat_norm_wf/_template_MNI152NLin2009cAsym/tpl_select)
190717-14:30:39,553 nipype.workflow ERROR:
	 Node tpl_select.a1 failed to run on host compute-0-6.local.
190717-14:30:39,605 nipype.workflow ERROR:
	 Saving crash info to /mnt/derivatives/fmriprep_test/fmriprep/sub-CBPD0142/log/20190717-143008_b5a04d6c-21ff-4750-97dd-f55d1db7766d/crash-20190717-143039-utooley-tpl_select.a1-f33a502c-3fbd-41b5-b197-e8aab6698327.txt
  File "/usr/local/miniconda/lib/python3.7/site-packages/templateflow/api.py", line 144, in _s3_get
    f.write(data)
OSError: [Errno 28] No space left on device

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

File "/usr/local/miniconda/lib/python3.7/site-packages/nipype/pipeline/plugins/multiproc.py", line 316, in _send_procs_to_workers
    self.procs[jobid].run(updatehash=updatehash)
  File "/usr/local/miniconda/lib/python3.7/site-packages/nipype/pipeline/engine/nodes.py", line 472, in run
    result = self._run_interface(execute=True)
  File "/usr/local/miniconda/lib/python3.7/site-packages/nipype/pipeline/engine/nodes.py", line 563, in _run_interface
    return self._run_command(execute)
  File "/usr/local/miniconda/lib/python3.7/site-packages/nipype/pipeline/engine/nodes.py", line 643, in _run_command
    result = self._interface.run(cwd=outdir)
  File "/usr/local/miniconda/lib/python3.7/site-packages/nipype/interfaces/base/core.py", line 375, in run
    runtime = self._run_interface(runtime)
  File "/usr/local/miniconda/lib/python3.7/site-packages/nipype/interfaces/utility/wrappers.py", line 144, in _run_interface
    out = function_handle(**args)
  File "<string>", line 5, in _get_template
  File "/usr/local/miniconda/lib/python3.7/site-packages/niworkflows/utils/misc.py", line 50, in get_template_specs
    tpl_target_path = get_template(in_template, **template_spec)
  File "/usr/local/miniconda/lib/python3.7/site-packages/templateflow/api.py", line 39, in get
    _s3_get(filepath)
  File "/usr/local/miniconda/lib/python3.7/site-packages/templateflow/api.py", line 144, in _s3_get
    f.write(data)

And it goes on in that vein for a while then continues running.

Release 1.4.1 comes with an very much improved error message. Upgrading will help diagnose this issue.

It shouldn’t be problematic, although it could be needing to add a :res-1 right after cohort-2 (i.e., MNIPediatricAsym:cohort-2:res-1).

yep, this is not allowed anymore in --output-spaces (please note the plural form of spaces).

I’m surprised it does not select res-1 automatically by default. If you want to quickly test, you can use res-2 here, but make sure you change to res-1 in production.

Yes, I was implying exactly that (although in combination with --cleanenv for the singularity run call and without the export SINGULARITYENV_TEMPLATEFLOW_HOME).

Without any export previously done, can you post the output of:

singularity exec --cleanenv fmriprep.simg python -c "from templateflow.conf import TF_HOME; print(TF_HOME)"

Sorry for the confusion–the first couple times I tried this, I thought I was using 1.4.1rc4, but turns out underneath I was still actually using 1.4.1rc2… :woman_facepalming::woman_facepalming:t4: so very very sorry for the waste of time! Several of these errors above were fixed by that change, including the trouble with using --skull-strip-template MNIPediatricAsym:cohort-2 vs --skull-strip-template MNIPediatricAsym:res-2:cohort-2. It does seem to select res-1 by default now.

However, the error that persists is the OSError: [Errno 28] No space left on device, which happens after the boilerplate and after downloading some templates successfully at the beginning. Are they downloaded to somewhere else later in the workflow in tpl_select? I assume it doesn’t have anything to do with nodes needing more threads than are available?

singularity exec --cleanenv fmriprep.simg python -c "from templateflow.conf import TF_HOME; print(TF_HOME)"
yields
/home/fmriprep/.cache/templateflow
But that dir doesn’t exist outside the container that I can tell:

(base) [utooley@chead Ursula]$ ls /home/fmriprep/
ls: cannot access /home/fmriprep/: No such file or directory
(base) [utooley@chead Ursula]$ ls /home/utooley/fmriprep
ls: cannot access /home/utooley/fmriprep: No such file or directory

Full log trace just in case it’s helpful:

Making sure the input data is BIDS compliant (warnings can be ignored in most cases).
	1: [WARN] The recommended file /README is missing. See Section 03 (Modality agnostic files) of the BIDS specification. (code: 101 - README_FILE_MISSING)

Please visit https://neurostars.org/search?q=README_FILE_MISSING for existing conversations about this issue.

Summary:                   Available Tasks:                       Available Modalities: 
        1175 Files, 32.59GB        rest                                   T1w                   
        105 - Subjects             number                                 T2w                   
        1 - Session                nback                                  bold                  
                                   TODO: full task name for rest          events                
                                   TODO: full task name for number                              

If you have any questions, please post on https://neurostars.org/tags/bids.

190717-16:30:25,949 nipype.workflow IMPORTANT:

Running fMRIPREP version 1.4.1rc4:
      * BIDS dataset path: /mnt.
      * Participant list: ['CBPD0142'].
      * Run identifier: 20190717-163025_cd31c52c-0946-4a90-8ff3-cb475f521884.

Downloading https://templateflow.s3.amazonaws.com/tpl-MNIPediatricAsym/cohort-2/tpl-MNIPediatricAsym_cohort-2_res-1_T1w.nii.gz
4.44kB [00:00, 9.91kB/s]                                                                                                                
Downloading https://templateflow.s3.amazonaws.com/tpl-MNIPediatricAsym/cohort-2/tpl-MNIPediatricAsym_cohort-2_res-1_desc-brain_mask.nii.gz
160B [00:00, 7.58kB/s]                                                                                                                  
190717-16:30:29,818 nipype.workflow IMPORTANT:
	 Creating bold processing workflow for "/mnt/sub-CBPD0142/func/sub-CBPD0142_task-rest_run-01_bold.nii.gz" (0.07 GB / 67 TRs). Memory resampled/largemem=0.27/0.34 GB.
190717-16:30:29,828 nipype.workflow IMPORTANT:
	 No single-band-reference found for sub-CBPD0142_task-rest_run-01_bold.nii.gz
Downloading https://templateflow.s3.amazonaws.com/tpl-MNI152NLin2009cAsym/tpl-MNI152NLin2009cAsym_res-02_desc-fMRIPrep_boldref.nii.gz
1.71kB [00:00, 10.3kB/s]                                                                                                                
Downloading https://templateflow.s3.amazonaws.com/tpl-MNI152NLin2009cAsym/tpl-MNI152NLin2009cAsym_res-02_desc-brain_mask.nii.gz
29.0B [00:00, 4.49kB/s]                                                                                                                 
190717-16:30:32,562 nipype.workflow IMPORTANT:
	 Slice-timing correction will be included.
190717-16:30:32,586 nipype.workflow WARNING:
	 SDC: no fieldmaps found or they were ignored (/mnt/sub-CBPD0142/func/sub-CBPD0142_task-rest_run-01_bold.nii.gz).
Downloading https://templateflow.s3.amazonaws.com/tpl-MNI152NLin2009cAsym/tpl-MNI152NLin2009cAsym_res-01_desc-carpet_dseg.nii.gz
441B [00:00, 9.65kB/s]                                                                                                                  
190717-16:30:33,831 nipype.workflow IMPORTANT:
	 Creating BOLD surface-sampling workflow.
190717-16:30:39,108 nipype.workflow IMPORTANT:
	 Works derived from this fMRIPrep execution should include the following boilerplate:

Results included in this manuscript come from preprocessing
performed using *fMRIPrep* 1.4.1rc4
(@fmriprep1; @fmriprep2; RRID:SCR_016216),
which is based on *Nipype* 1.2.0
(@nipype1; @nipype2; RRID:SCR_002502).

Anatomical data preprocessing

: A total of 2 T1-weighted (T1w) images were found within the input
BIDS dataset.
All of them were corrected for intensity non-uniformity (INU)
with `N4BiasFieldCorrection` [@n4], distributed with ANTs 2.2.0 [@ants, RRID:SCR_004757].
The T1w-reference was then skull-stripped with a *Nipype* implementation of
the `antsBrainExtraction.sh` workflow (from ANTs), using MNIPediatricAsym
as target template.
Brain tissue segmentation of cerebrospinal fluid (CSF),
white-matter (WM) and gray-matter (GM) was performed on
the brain-extracted T1w using `fast` [FSL 5.0.9, RRID:SCR_002823,
@fsl_fast].
A T1w-reference map was computed after registration of
2 T1w images (after INU-correction) using
`mri_robust_template` [FreeSurfer 6.0.1, @fs_template].
Brain surfaces were reconstructed using `recon-all` [FreeSurfer 6.0.1,
RRID:SCR_001847, @fs_reconall], and the brain mask estimated
previously was refined with a custom variation of the method to reconcile
ANTs-derived and FreeSurfer-derived segmentations of the cortical
gray-matter of Mindboggle [RRID:SCR_002438, @mindboggle].
Volume-based spatial normalization to two standard spaces (MNIPediatricAsym, MNI152NLin2009cAsym) was performed through
nonlinear registration with `antsRegistration` (ANTs 2.2.0),
using brain-extracted versions of both T1w reference and the T1w template.
The following templates were selected for spatial normalization:
*MNI's unbiased standard MRI template for pediatric data from the 4.5 to 18.5y age range* [@mnipediatricasym, RRID:SCR_008796; TemplateFlow ID: MNIPediatricAsym], *ICBM 152 Nonlinear Asymmetrical template version 2009c* [@mni152nlin2009casym, RRID:SCR_008796; TemplateFlow ID: MNI152NLin2009cAsym].

Functional data preprocessing

: For each of the 1 BOLD runs found per subject (across all
tasks and sessions), the following preprocessing was performed.
First, a reference volume and its skull-stripped version were generated
using a custom methodology of *fMRIPrep*.
The BOLD reference was then co-registered to the T1w reference using
`bbregister` (FreeSurfer) which implements boundary-based registration [@bbr].
Co-registration was configured with nine degrees of freedom to account
for distortions remaining in the BOLD reference.
Head-motion parameters with respect to the BOLD reference
(transformation matrices, and six corresponding rotation and translation
parameters) are estimated before any spatiotemporal filtering using
`mcflirt` [FSL 5.0.9, @mcflirt].
BOLD runs were slice-time corrected using `3dTshift` from
AFNI 20160207 [@afni, RRID:SCR_005927].
The BOLD time-series, were resampled to surfaces on the following
spaces: *fsaverage5*.
The BOLD time-series (including slice-timing correction when applied)
were resampled onto their original, native space by applying
a single, composite transform to correct for head-motion and
susceptibility distortions.
These resampled BOLD time-series will be referred to as *preprocessed
BOLD in original space*, or just *preprocessed BOLD*.
The BOLD time-series were resampled into several standard spaces,
correspondingly generating the following *spatially-normalized,
preprocessed BOLD runs*: MNIPediatricAsym, MNI152NLin2009cAsym.
First, a reference volume and its skull-stripped version were generated
using a custom methodology of *fMRIPrep*.
Several confounding time-series were calculated based on the
*preprocessed BOLD*: framewise displacement (FD), DVARS and
three region-wise global signals.
FD and DVARS are calculated for each functional run, both using their
implementations in *Nipype* [following the definitions by @power_fd_dvars].
The three global signals are extracted within the CSF, the WM, and
the whole-brain masks.
Additionally, a set of physiological regressors were extracted to
allow for component-based noise correction [*CompCor*, @compcor].
Principal components are estimated after high-pass filtering the
*preprocessed BOLD* time-series (using a discrete cosine filter with
128s cut-off) for the two *CompCor* variants: temporal (tCompCor)
and anatomical (aCompCor).
tCompCor components are then calculated from the top 5% variable
voxels within a mask covering the subcortical regions.
This subcortical mask is obtained by heavily eroding the brain mask,
which ensures it does not include cortical GM regions.
For aCompCor, components are calculated within the intersection of
the aforementioned mask and the union of CSF and WM masks calculated
in T1w space, after their projection to the native space of each
functional run (using the inverse BOLD-to-T1w transformation). Components
are also calculated separately within the WM and CSF masks.
For each CompCor decomposition, the *k* components with the largest singular
values are retained, such that the retained components' time series are
sufficient to explain 50 percent of variance across the nuisance mask (CSF,
WM, combined, or temporal). The remaining components are dropped from
consideration.
The head-motion estimates calculated in the correction step were also
placed within the corresponding confounds file.
The confound time series derived from head motion estimates and global
signals were expanded with the inclusion of temporal derivatives and
quadratic terms for each [@confounds_satterthwaite_2013].
Frames that exceeded a threshold of 0.5 mm FD or 1.5 standardised DVARS
were annotated as motion outliers.
All resamplings can be performed with *a single interpolation
step* by composing all the pertinent transformations (i.e. head-motion
transform matrices, susceptibility distortion correction when available,
and co-registrations to anatomical and output spaces).
Gridded (volumetric) resamplings were performed using `antsApplyTransforms` (ANTs),
configured with Lanczos interpolation to minimize the smoothing
effects of other kernels [@lanczos].
Non-gridded (surface) resamplings were performed using `mri_vol2surf`
(FreeSurfer).

Many internal operations of *fMRIPrep* use
*Nilearn* 0.5.2 [@nilearn, RRID:SCR_001362],
mostly within the functional processing workflow.
For more details of the pipeline, see [the section corresponding
to workflows in *fMRIPrep*'s documentation](https://fmriprep.readthedocs.io/en/latest/workflows.html "FMRIPrep's documentation").

### References

pandoc-citeproc: reference mnipediatricasym not found
190717-16:30:52,989 nipype.workflow WARNING:
	 Some nodes demand for more threads than available (1).
Downloading https://templateflow.s3.amazonaws.com/tpl-MNI152NLin2009cAsym/tpl-MNI152NLin2009cAsym_res-01_desc-brain_mask.nii.gz
156B [00:00, 10.2kB/s]                                                                                                                  
Downloading https://templateflow.s3.amazonaws.com/tpl-MNI152NLin2009cAsym/tpl-MNI152NLin2009cAsym_res-01_T1w.nii.gz
 59%|███████████████████████████████████████████████████████▍                                      | 7.89k/13.4k [00:00<00:00, 11.3kB/s]
190717-16:30:56,566 nipype.workflow WARNING:
	 [Node] Error on "fmriprep_wf.single_subject_CBPD0142_wf.anat_preproc_wf.anat_norm_wf.tpl_select" (/tmp/utooleyCBPD0142/fmriprep_wf/single_subject_CBPD0142_wf/anat_preproc_wf/anat_norm_wf/_template_MNI152NLin2009cAsym/tpl_select)
190717-16:30:56,569 nipype.workflow ERROR:
	 Node tpl_select.a1 failed to run on host chead.uphs.upenn.edu.
190717-16:30:56,624 nipype.workflow ERROR:
	 Saving crash info to /mnt/derivatives/fmriprep_test/fmriprep/sub-CBPD0142/log/20190717-163025_cd31c52c-0946-4a90-8ff3-cb475f521884/crash-20190717-163056-utooley-tpl_select.a1-ead924f9-336a-47bd-b588-a9ac70bd705a.txt
    f.write(data)

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

File "/usr/local/miniconda/lib/python3.7/site-packages/nipype/pipeline/plugins/multiproc.py", line 316, in _send_procs_to_workers
    self.procs[jobid].run(updatehash=updatehash)
  File "/usr/local/miniconda/lib/python3.7/site-packages/nipype/pipeline/engine/nodes.py", line 472, in run
    result = self._run_interface(execute=True)
  File "/usr/local/miniconda/lib/python3.7/site-packages/nipype/pipeline/engine/nodes.py", line 563, in _run_interface
    return self._run_command(execute)
  File "/usr/local/miniconda/lib/python3.7/site-packages/nipype/pipeline/engine/nodes.py", line 643, in _run_command
    result = self._interface.run(cwd=outdir)
  File "/usr/local/miniconda/lib/python3.7/site-packages/nipype/interfaces/base/core.py", line 375, in run
    runtime = self._run_interface(runtime)
  File "/usr/local/miniconda/lib/python3.7/site-packages/nipype/interfaces/utility/wrappers.py", line 144, in _run_interface
    out = function_handle(**args)
  File "<string>", line 5, in _get_template
  File "/usr/local/miniconda/lib/python3.7/site-packages/niworkflows/utils/misc.py", line 50, in get_template_specs
    tpl_target_path = get_template(in_template, **template_spec)
  File "/usr/local/miniconda/lib/python3.7/site-packages/templateflow/api.py", line 39, in get
    _s3_get(filepath)
    f.write(data)

190717-16:30:58,821 nipype.workflow INFO:
	 [Node] Setting-up "fmriprep_wf.single_subject_CBPD0142_wf.func_preproc_task_rest_run_01_wf.bold_reference_wf.gen_ref" in "/tmp/utooleyCBPD0142/fmriprep_wf/single_subject_CBPD0142_wf/func_preproc_task_rest_run_01_wf/bold_reference_wf/gen_ref".
190717-16:30:58,823 nipype.workflow INFO:
	 [Node] Running "gen_ref" ("niworkflows.interfaces.registration.EstimateReferenceImage")
190717-16:31:01,310 nipype.interface INFO:
	 stderr 2019-07-17T16:31:01.310071:++ 3dvolreg: AFNI version=Debian-16.2.07~dfsg.1-5~nd16.04+1 (Jun 12 2017) [64-bit]
190717-16:31:01,310 nipype.interface INFO:
	 stderr 2019-07-17T16:31:01.310071:++ Authored by: RW Cox
190717-16:31:01,328 nipype.interface INFO:
	 stderr 2019-07-17T16:31:01.328903:*+ WARNING:   If you are performing spatial transformations on an oblique dset, 
190717-16:31:01,329 nipype.interface INFO:
	 stderr 2019-07-17T16:31:01.328903:  such as /tmp/utooleyCBPD0142/fmriprep_wf/single_subject_CBPD0142_wf/func_preproc_task_rest_run_01_wf/bold_reference_wf/gen_ref/slice.nii.gz,
	 stderr 2019-07-17T16:31:01.328903:  or viewing/combining it with volumes of differing obliquity,
	 stderr 2019-07-17T16:31:01.328903:  you should consider running: 
	 stderr 2019-07-17T16:31:01.328903:     3dWarp -deoblique 
	 stderr 2019-07-17T16:31:01.328903:  on this and  other oblique datasets in the same session.
	 stderr 2019-07-17T16:31:01.328903: See 3dWarp -help for details.
	 stderr 2019-07-17T16:31:01.329352:++ Oblique dataset:/tmp/utooleyCBPD0142/fmriprep_wf/single_subject_CBPD0142_wf/func_preproc_task_rest_run_01_wf/bold_reference_wf/gen_ref/slice.nii.gz is 14.095265 degrees from plumb.
	 stderr 2019-07-17T16:31:01.329928:++ Coarse del was 10, replaced with 7

No need for that, very glad you found out!

This is bad - it seems your singularity installation automatically binds HOME, but it does not overwrite the $HOME env variable.

Okay, let’s bind your home dir from the host:

mkdir -p $HOME/.cache/templateflow
singularity exec -B $HOME/.cache/templateflow:/home/fmriprep/.cache/templateflow --cleanenv fmriprep.simg python -c "from templateflow.conf import TF_HOME; print(TF_HOME)"

That should give you /home/fmriprep/.cache/templateflow.

Then try:

singularity exec -B $HOME/.cache/templateflow:/home/fmriprep/.cache/templateflow --cleanenv fmriprep.simg python -c "from templateflow import api; print(api.get('MNIPediatricAsym', cohort=2, resolution=1, suffix='T1w'))"

After that, you should be able to verify that $HOME/.cache/templateflow has pulled down that particular path (relative to your host’s $HOME, not the container’s).

That gives me

WARNING: Skipping user bind, non existent bind point (directory) in container: '/home/fmriprep/.cache/templateflow'
/home/fmriprep/.cache/templateflow

However…using templateflow to get templates as below puts them there?

singularity exec -B $HOME/.cache/templateflow:/home/fmriprep/.cache/templateflow --cleanenv /data/picsl/mackey_group/tools/singularity/fmriprep-1-4-1rc4.simg python -c  "from templateflow import api; print(api.get('MNIPediatricAsym', cohort=2, resolution=1, suffix='T1w'))"
WARNING: Skipping user bind, non existent bind point (directory) in container: '/home/fmriprep/.cache/templateflow'
Downloading https://templateflow.s3.amazonaws.com/tpl-MNIPediatricAsym/cohort-2/tpl-MNIPediatricAsym_cohort-2_res-1_T1w.nii.gz
4.44kB [00:00, 11.3kB/s]                                                                             
/home/fmriprep/.cache/templateflow/tpl-MNIPediatricAsym/cohort-2/tpl-MNIPediatricAsym_cohort-2_res-1_T1w.nii.gz

But they don’t exist outside the container (which I’m not sure they ever should, but I am wondering how this relates to the mem error).

Okay, true. Sorry about that. Let’s change that to (be careful with the rm in the beginning, make sure it doesn’t destroy anything you want to keep):

rm -fr $HOME/.cache/templateflow
export SINGULARITYENV_TEMPLATEFLOW_HOME=/home/fmriprep/templateflow
singularity exec -B $HOME/.cache:/home/fmriprep --cleanenv fmriprep.simg python -c "from templateflow.conf import TF_HOME; print(TF_HOME)"

Then the second part can be kept as is if you are still using the same bash session:

singularity exec -B $HOME/.cache:/home/fmriprep/ --cleanenv /data/picsl/mackey_group/tools/singularity/fmriprep-1-4-1rc4.simg python -c  "from templateflow import api; print(api.get('MNIPediatricAsym', cohort=2, resolution=1, suffix='T1w'))"

You should see that $HOME/.cache/templateflow/tpl-MNIPediatricAsym/cohort-2/tpl-MNIPediatricAsym_cohort-2_res-1_T1w.nii.gz exists on your host (outside the container)

I think the problem is that there is no /home/fmriprep in the container, and my singularity install doesn’t allow me to bind to a non-existent folder. At least, that’s what I gather from below:

(base) [utooley@chead Ursula]$ singularity exec -B $HOME/.cache:/home/fmriprep --cleanenv /data/picsl/mackey_group/tools/singularity/fmriprep-1-4-1rc4.simg python -c "from templateflow.conf import TF_HOME; print(TF_HOME)"
WARNING: Skipping user bind, non existent bind point (directory) in container: '/home/fmriprep'
/home/fmriprep/templateflow
(base) [utooley@chead Ursula]$ singularity exec -B $HOME/.cache:/home/fmriprep/ --cleanenv /data/picsl/mackey_group/tools/singularity/fmriprep-1-4-1rc4.simg python -c  "from templateflow import api; print(api.get('MNIPediatricAsym', cohort=2, resolution=1, suffix='T1w'))"
WARNING: Skipping user bind, non existent bind point (directory) in container: '/home/fmriprep/'
4.44kB [00:00, 11.1kB/s]                                                                                                                
/home/fmriprep/templateflow/tpl-MNIPediatricAsym/cohort-2/tpl-MNIPediatricAsym_cohort-2_res-1_T1w.nii.gz
(base) [utooley@chead Ursula]$ ls ~/.cache
gedit
(base) [utooley@chead Ursula]$ ls $HOME/.cache
gedit

I checked manually too with a shell and no dice, the only thing in /home is utooley

Singularity fmriprep-1-4-1rc4.simg:/home/utooley> cd ..
Singularity fmriprep-1-4-1rc4.simg:/home> ls
utooley
Singularity fmriprep-1-4-1rc4.simg:/home> cd ..
Singularity fmriprep-1-4-1rc4.simg:/> ls
bin  boot  dev	environment  etc  home	lib  lib64  media  mnt	opt  proc  root  run  sbin  singularity  src  srv  sys	tmp  usr  var

Okay, looks like what fixed it is just running templateflow directly out of my home dir and binding it explicitly. I guess there were some path issues in previous command? After downloading templates into /home/utooley/templateflow, I just used

export SINGULARITYENV_TEMPLATEFLOW_HOME=/home/utooley/templateflow
singularity run --cleanenv -B /home/utooley/templateflow:/home/utooley/templateflow,${BIDS_folder}:/mnt ${tools_dir}/fmriprep-1-4-1rc4.simg \
/mnt/ /mnt/derivatives/fmriprep_test_2 \
participant \
-w /tmp/utooley${subject} \
--participant-label ${subject} \
--fs-license-file $HOME/license.txt \
--skull-strip-template MNIPediatricAsym:cohort-2 \
--output-spaces MNIPediatricAsym:cohort-2 T1w MNI152NLin2009cAsym fsaverage5 \
--nthreads 1 \

This seems to be running, we’ll see whether it fixes the original skull-stripping problem!

1 Like

I really recommend you to move on to 1.4.1. Many of these problems will be gone (and particularly the one of the home directory, I believe).

Glad you found a solution!

1 Like

I did switch! Even downloaded 1-4-1rc5 in hopes that that would do it–this last time around it was run with the most updated version. I chatted with someone at my institution who had opened this thread and had the No space left on device error, and realized after some troubleshooting that basically, /home/fmriprep doesn’t exist in our singularity container, so all my problems were stemming from trying to get templates in and out of a dir that was un-bindable.

Changing the paths to directories that actually existed worked, though!

1 Like

I believe there is a little misconfiguration on the installation of Singularity in your cluster: while the home directories are bound automatically, the $HOME environment variable is not re-set.

It also seems to me that the whole /home/ directory is bound into /home/ in the container. Although it existed before binding, /home/fmriprep gets shadowed by the bind. That’s why you can’t see /home/fmriprep.

TemplateFlow gets confused because it checks for $HOME/.cache/templateflow. Most of Singularity installations, when host home is auto-bound, the $HOME environment in the container is overwritten to the host’s home of the user. That doesn’t seem the case in your settings (and that’s what I think is odd).

1 Like

Good news! The new version, and I assume specifically using a pediatric --skull-strip-template, seems to have fixed the original skull-stripping issue! Not being one to count on chance, though, I’m running another person who had issues with 1.2.6 cutting off brain through this version, just to double-check.

Thanks so much for the explanation of the Singularity misconfiguration, @oesteban, also! Really appreciate it. I would take it up with the admins, except we’re supposed to be about to move to a new cluster.

02%20PM