BIDS naming convention questions

Good morning from New York I am a masters student that is working on MEG data and is transitioning my projects NIX related data format to BIDS. I am having some trouble understanding the complex language in the source page and wiki about how to name derivatives. In specific I have created (Independent Component Analysis) files on MEG sensor data and have as a result files named as GUY1_ii_run1_raw_tsss_ica.fif and its original MEG data file is named GUY1_ii_run1_raw_tsss.fif.
GUY1 is the patient, ii stand for interictal data, run1 is simply which number of run it was recorded on and raw_tsss is the format of the data.

Does that mean I should create a folder named ‘data’ which contains the BIDS formated meg data and a separate folder named ‘derivatives’ which contains a subfolder named ‘ICA’ ?

And does that mean that the correct file formatted name after converting to bids format is"[N3S2_N3S2_ii_run1_raw_tsss_mc]sub-N3S2_sess-01_task-resting_state_run-01[ii]_ica.fif" ?

The naming convention is not very clear on their website if I have to place if the patients data is either ictal(i) or interictal(ii) in the key value label. Any guidance or advice would be appreciated towards how to name derivatives.

1 Like

ping @franklin Feingold, here’s a #bids question.

1 Like

hi @eman1369

Welcome to NeuroStars and thank you for your question. Perhaps to clarify regarding the filename - derivatives follow a similar key-value pairing scheme seen in the raw data (e.g. MEG). One example carrying over this naming scheme can be seen in how to name masks. Regarding the folder placement - the derivatives folder will be placed at the root of the dataset.

Currently, there is an extension proposal seeking to describe these outputs.

pinging @sappelhoff and @effigies if they may have thoughts

Thank you,
Franklin

1 Like

I think you would end up with something like:

dataset/
  derivatives/
    ica/
      sub-N3S2/
        ses-01/
          meg/
            sub-N3S2_ses-01_task-rest_run-01_ica.fif
  sub-N3S2/
    ses-01/
      meg/
        sub-N3S2_ses-01_task-rest_run-01_meg.fif

For ictal/interictal, I’m not sure whether you would want to specify that with HED tags in an events.tsv. If you do want it easily distinguished by filename, you could use acq-interictal, like sub-N3S2_ses-01_task-rest_acq-interictal_run-01_meg.fif. Another place you might put the data is in a new column in scans.tsv, if a scan is always either ictal or interictal, and you don’t ever have a case where a scan encompasses both phases.

1 Like

This solves a portion of my questions thank you very much

This was a big help from both of you thank you very much