BIDS specification - questions on task key in dwi and perf

Hi,

I am in the process of drafting up some user-documentation on creating BIDS-valid filenames (yes, I know this is definitely repeating the efforts of many other existing documentations). I have a couple of questions on the BIDS spec for dwi/ and perf/ files in particular:

1. Why is task-<label> required for physio files collected during dwi scans, especially since task-<label> isn’t even an option for _dwi files. This seems to then create a naming mismatch between the _dwi files and the _physio files.
  2. For perf files, why isn’t task-<label> an option, or is it and it’s just not listed in the BIDS spec? Wondering how to instruct users to correctly identify task-based PCASL and simultaneous ASL-BOLD sequences.

Thanks!

Suzanne

That is bug in the specifications we reported and hopefully fixed.

If you check the “latest” version of the specification (that includes all the changes since the last version but has not made it into an official release) the filename templates should be fixed.

https://bids-specification.readthedocs.io/en/latest/modality-specific-files/magnetic-resonance-imaging-data.html#diffusion-imaging-data

Note the “latest” in the URL.

For task support in ASL data. When ASL was introduced it was considered too unfrequent to be supported yet.
I would suggest you open an issue in repository if the bids specification to ask for it to be included.

Hi Remi,

Thanks for the quick response. I’ll check out the “latest” documentation for the physio and stim fixes. And, I’ll definitely open an issue, as it seems like a pretty small fix to get “task” added as a field for perf files.

cheers.

Suzanne

1 Like