Bids validation errors with NKI-RS

Hi there,

I have recently downloaded the NKI-RS dataset. I have been trying to process this data using fMRIPrep-22.0.0 via singularity. I have been running into a number of errors with bids validation of this dataset. Perhaps this dataset was prepared using an older version of bids? I am new to Neuroscience and am not familiar with bids conventions and would greatly appreciate some input on the errors I am getting. There are 3 three main errors I am encountering. Note: I have changed the subject ids for privacy reasons.

Error 1: [Code 1] NOT_INCLUDED, 2506 files

sub-xxxx_ses-BAS2_dwi_physio.json0.1 KB | application/json

NKI-RS/sub-xxxx/ses-BAS2/dwi/sub-xxxx_ses-BAS2_dwi_physio.json

Reason:

Files with such naming scheme are not part of BIDS specification. This error is most commonly caused by typos in file names that make them not BIDS compatible. Please consult the specification and make sure your files are named correctly. If this is not a file naming issue (for example when including files not yet covered by the BIDS specification) you should include a “.bidsignore” file in your dataset (see GitHub - bids-standard/bids-validator: Validator for the Brain Imaging Data Structure for details). Please note that derived (processed) data should be placed in /derivatives folder and source data (such as DICOMS or behavioural logs in proprietary formats) should be placed in the /sourcedata folder.

Evidence:

sub-xxxx_ses-BAS2_dwi_physio.json

Error 2: [Code 26] NIFTI_HEADER_UNREADABLE, 4315 files

sub-yyyy_ses-BAS1_task-BREATHHOLD_acq-1400_bold.nii.gz 172750.374 KB | application/gzip

NKI-RS/sub-yyyy/ses-BAS1/func/sub-yyyy_ses-BAS1_task-BREATHHOLD_acq-1400_bold.nii.gz

Reason:

We were unable to parse header data from this NIfTI file. Please ensure it is not corrupted or mislabeled.

Error 4: [Code 63] SESSION_VALUE_CONTAINS_ILLEGAL_CHARACTER, 2071 files

sub-zzzz_ses-BAS2_dwi_physio.tsv.gz189.779 KB | application/gzip

NKI-RS/sub-zzzz/ses-BAS2/dwi/sub-zzzz_ses-BAS2_dwi_physio.tsv.gz

Reason:

Ses label contain an Illegal Character hyphen or underscore. Please edit the filename as per BIDS spec.

Evidence:

ses name contains illegal character:/sub-zzzz/ses-BAS2/dwi/sub-zzzz_ses-BAS2_dwi_physio.tsv.gz

Thanks the help,

Bryn

_dwi_physio is a double-suffix, which wouldn’t be valid. If you remove the _dwi, it will probably work.

Perhaps this dataset was prepared using an older version of bids?

Possibly, though this was never valid. It may predate BIDS 1.0 release and was somebody’s best guess.