BIDS Validator incorrect error for duplicate subjects

Hello,

[Code 51] PHENOTYPE_SUBJECTS_MISSING

I started getting these errors for *.tsv files where a single subject was appearing multiple times (multiple rows). The validator error is misleading since the subject is not missing in the database. I suggest the validator be improved to give a more accurate error message if this is not allowed.

[edit:] Reading the BIDS specification, I don’t think multiple entries for a single subject is forbidden. E.g., a subject may fill questionnaires multiple times.

Cheers,
Marc

Hi,

Such feature requests / bugs will be better addressed on the bids validator GitHub repo: GitHub - bids-standard/bids-validator: Validator for the Brain Imaging Data Structure . I think, knowing how some bids-apps may draw from phenotype tsv files, that each subject should have one row, and that repeated phenotype measures should have distinct columns (e.g “measureX-test1” and “measureX-test2”).

Best,
Steven

Thanks Steven,

I’ll do that. I found their repo after coming here: the Validator itself directs questions here.
Adding columns is not appropriate in my case: it’s not planed that way, this is a large repository of data coming from multiple studies. A few participants thus have multiple unrelated sessions.

Best,
Marc