Can I paraphrase fmriprep boilerplate?

Hi, I have a copyright problem with my paper. The journal can’t accept any copy-pasted content, even if it’s from my article. I have already sent https://fmriprep.org/en/stable/citing.html#note-for-reviewers-and-editors to the editor of the journal, but it is unacceptable for them. Do I have permission to paraphrase the boilerplate to get rid of this problem?
Thanks

1 Like

I am not an fMRIprep developper but I would say “yes”. I suspect there is a certain amount of rewording you can do without ditching the important details.
Maybe by turning that part from a passive voice to an active voice.

If you want to make sure that the original version of the fMRIprep boilerplate is still accessible, you could associate an OSF project to your paper and have a copy of the fMRIprep log there.

I will keep my rant against that type of editorial practice to Twitter.

Do you know if this was flagged by an automated plagiarism detection software?

1 Like

Thanks for your reply and your effort for this kind of problems. The plagiarism detection software is “Crossref Similarity Check Powered by iThenticate.”

1 Like

Thanks for the update.

I am starting to suspect that “pipeline” developers are going to have to talk to those “plagiarism detector” developers if we all want to co-habitate in peace.

3 Likes

Just to give an “authoritative” answer: Yes, you can paraphrase. Apologies that you’re stuck here in this absurd situation.

We would very much like to talk with the editors at journals that use plagiarism detection software to come to some agreement. We will reach out to iThenticate, but please also encourage the editor of your journal to contact us as well. I can be reached at markiewicz at stanford dot edu.

1 Like

I would like to invite interested reeaders to participate in a conversation on https://mattermost.brainhack.org/brainhack/channels/methods-boilerplate.

2 Likes

Maybe you can put it in the supplementary material? The boilerplate is hard to read anyway :slight_smile:

The goal is clarity, so we’re very open to suggestions for improving the wording.