CNS*2020 O9: Discovering synaptic mechanisms underlying propagation of cortical activity: A model-driven experimental and data analysis approach

O9: Discovering synaptic mechanisms underlying propagation of cortical activity: A model-driven experimental and data analysis approach

1 Like

Hi, thanks for your speech. I saw that one of the findings in your experiments is that GABA antagonist can disinhibit the excitation by AMPAR but not NMDA. Perhaps a basic question, but I was wondering what are the possible mechanisms behind this. Could it be related to the spatial distribution of the receptors? Thanks.

Thank you for your question, indeed a very interesting question. There are many possible mechanisms, including the spatial distribution of receptors, receptor kinetics, environment etc. However, I have not look at the spatial distribution of receptors in this study. Instead of I concentrate on pharmacologically manipulate the three receptor types. Have you studied similar systems and what are your experiences?

Best, Heidi

Thanks for replying! I am doing cortical network modeling (LIF neurons in NEST) with different inhibitory cell types, but I haven’t done any experiments like yours. Although not included in my model, I am generally interested in different excitatory and inhibitory receptors. Unfortunately I do not have any further information, but given the diversity of these receptors I also think spatial distribution and kinetics might be relevant and it is definitely interesting to discover.