dHCP: Was intensity normalization not included in the dHCP pre-processing framework?

Hi everyone,

I am using both the HCP and dHCP dataset, and found a difference in the pre-processing framework between them. While HCP pre-processing framework included intensity normalization, the dHCP framework didn’t. I am curious about the reason for not including this step. Does anyone have any ideas?
Thank you very much in advance!

Kind Regards,
Huiqing

Hi Huiqing

We did not do intensity normalisation because we felt that different end users may have different requirements in this respect. When working with the data I personally do a FEAT-style grand mean intensity normalisation that is available in the dHCP fMRI pipeline:

I hope this helps.

Cheers, Sean

Hi Sean,

Thanks for your quick reply!
Another question here. Can I apply intensity normalization after doing temporal pass-filter? Is there any influence if I change the order of applying intensity normalization and temporal pass-filter?
Thank you,
Huiqing

Hi Huiqing

The intensity normalisation i use is just a scaling by a single global factor and we do it after temporal filtering. I think that is also the order on the FSL FEAT pipeline. I think the order would have a negligible effect, but I have never actually tested it. If you are concerned, you could run some empirical tests.

Cheers, Sean