Downloading single files in OpenNeuro dataset *draft*

Hi all,

Quick newbie question:
Is there a way to download single files from an OpenNeuro unpublished (i.e. draft) dataset?
I know that with datalad it is possible to download part of a dataset snapshot through OpenNeuro’s GitHub, but I guess draft datasets aren’t in GitHub, are they?

Long story short: I have a dataset that I can’t make public yet (but eventually be public by the end of 2021) and many space-related issues to preprocess/analyse/store its results (my centre lacks the TB of space I need at the moment). I was thinking about using OpenNeuro to use it as a remote storage and solve part of my problems, however that means downloading one (or few) files at a time rather than the full dataset.

Alternatively, is there another service similar to OpenNeuro to do something similar?

Cheers,
Stefano

hi @smoia

Thank you for your message. The openneuro-cli has the capability of downloading draft data. Yep, draft data has not be made public yet (therefore not on GitHub). I find downloading a single file is easiest through the web UI.

Thank you,
Franklin

Hello @franklin ,
thank you for your reply!
Would there be a way to download only a single from a draft dataset, or is it/ could it be planned?
I’m asking because I would need to integrate an automated download in a preprocessing script that I have, but I can’t download the full dataset at once due to space limitations. A manual single file download would be impossible in this use case…

Cheers,
Stefano

hi @smoia

Thank you for your message. Unfortunately, that specific functionality has not been developed into the openneuro-cli. I’ll look further into this and follow up.

Thank you,
Franklin

hi @smoia,

thinking about it a bit more - by chance have you looked into gin? They have a nice integration with datalad

There is also a python implementation of the openneuro-cli that could be helpful too

Thank you @franklin ! Those tools might actually solve the problem!

I’m going to try them out and see how it goes.

Thank you again,
Stefano

1 Like