DWI already registered to T2w?

Hi!

(Hope this is the correct place to post questions about dHCP data.)

I am looking at the diffusion data in dHCP. I found that the data documentation say “V. Diffusion data are aligned to high-resolution structural (T2-weighted) space using boundary-based registration8​ , 9 ​on the average attenuation volume for the b=1000 s/mm2​ ​ shell (i.e. b1k/b0). This transformation is combined with a non-linear registration1​ 0​ of the T2w volume to the 40 weeks template1​ 1​ to allow transformations between diffusion and atlas spaces.

I wonder if this means that the provided dMRI data is already in the T2w space, e.g. XX_desc-preproc_dwi.nii.gz and XX_desc-restore_T2w.nii.gz.

If this was correct, while for most subjects the DWI and T2w visually looking to be aligned well, some subjects are not, e.g. sub-CC00060XX03_ses-12501.

Otherwise, could you let me know if there are additional warping steps needed.

Thank you!!!

Regards,
Fan

Dear Fan,

Thanks for your message. Yes, this is the right place to post dHCP-related queries.

No, preprocessed data are in native diffusion space. To bring them to T2w space, you can apply the rigid body transformation matrix (i.e., *_from-dwi_to-T2w_mode-image.mat) using FSL FLIRT (https://fsl.fmrib.ox.ac.uk/fsl/fslwiki/FLIRT).

Hope this helps, cheers,
Matteo

Hi Matteo,

Thank you for the information. That works very well!

Regards,

Fan