Error with running first-level analysis in FSL FEAT

Hello Neurostars,

I’m attempting to run a first-level analysis using FEAT. I have scripted my design.fsf file, but when I try to run it, I get the error “child process exited abnormally” without additional information. I’ve seen some other posts on the forums, but the solutions suggested do not apply (or I have already implemented). Unfortunately, the logs do not provide additional information either. Does anyone have debugging advice?

Error when running feat:

child process exited abnormally
    while executing
"fsl:exec "${FSLDIR}/bin/feat ${fsfroot}.fsf -D $FD -I $session -init" -b 10 -N feat0_init -l logs "
    (procedure "firstLevelMaster" line 145)
    invoked from within
"firstLevelMaster $session"
    invoked from within
"if { $done_something == 0 } {
    if { ! $fmri(inmelodic) } {
       if { $fmri(level) == 1 } {
              for { set session 1 } { $session <= $fmri(mult..."
    (file "/home/groups/russpold/software/fsl-6.0.4/bin/feat" line 390)

Report log

Hi @Ruben_Krueger, when you see an error such as child killed: kill signal, it usually means that your system has run out of memory. How big is your data, and how much RAM does your system have? It looks like you are using a HPC cluster - is your cluster configured to use fsl_sub so that jobs are executed on nodes rather than the login machine?

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the response. Yes, I’m running this on an HPC system (slurm, specifically). I increased the memory for the job, and it seems to no longer have that error. Thank you.