Fmriprep error: OSError Duplicate node name func_preproc_task_bat_run_1_wf found (version: fmriprep v1.1.4, regression)

The following error first occurred after updating to 1.1.4 (in order to see if the working dir issue was fixed for Windows-docker env)
Many thanks

SDC: no fieldmaps found or they were ignored (/data/sub-030_fm/func/sub-030_task-bat_run-1_bold.nii.gz).
Process Process-2:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/usr/local/miniconda/lib/python3.6/multiprocessing/process.py”, line 258, in _bootstrap
self.run()
File “/usr/local/miniconda/lib/python3.6/multiprocessing/process.py”, line 93, in run
self._target(*self._args, **self._kwargs)
File “/usr/local/miniconda/lib/python3.6/site-packages/fmriprep/cli/run.py”, line 542, in build_workflow
ignore_aroma_err=opts.ignore_aroma_denoising_errors,
File “/usr/local/miniconda/lib/python3.6/site-packages/fmriprep/workflows/base.py”, line 210, in init_fmriprep_wf
ignore_aroma_err=ignore_aroma_err)
File “/usr/local/miniconda/lib/python3.6/site-packages/fmriprep/workflows/base.py”, line 513, in init_single_subject_wf
‘inputnode.t1_2_fsnative_reverse_transform’)]),
File “/usr/local/miniconda/lib/python3.6/site-packages/nipype/pipeline/engine/workflows.py”, line 155, in connect
self._check_nodes(newnodes)
File “/usr/local/miniconda/lib/python3.6/site-packages/nipype/pipeline/engine/workflows.py”, line 727, in _check_nodes
‘Duplicate node name “%s” found.’ % node.name)
OSError: Duplicate node name “func_preproc_task_bat_run_1_wf” found.

RUNNING: docker run --rm -it -v D:\license.txt:/opt/freesurfer/license.txt:ro -v somepath1:/data:ro -v somepath2:/out -v someworkingdir:/scratch poldracklab/fmriprep:1.1.4 /data /out participant --participant_label 030 --fs-no-reconall --write-graph --notrack --mem_mb 6000 --ignore fieldmaps -w /scratch

Are you using datalad, by any chance?

1 Like

It’s installed under the same env.
Should I remove it from that env?
Thanks

Sorry, my question was very unclear. Are you using datalad to manage those data? In other words, is it a “datalad dataset”?

My intuition is that we may have a regression of an earlier bug where “hidden” images under the .git/ folder were considered part of the bids structure.

Can you print with the tree command or similar your the structure of your BIDS dataset (including hidden folders)?

1 Like
  1. Are you using datalad to manage those data?
    No

2. Found the root cause (bids structure wasn’t really valid)-
    I had two directories with different participant ids (sub-030 and sub-030_fm), but the files under both followed the sub-030 pattern and not consistent with the renaming of the dir), so I just moved one of these directories to another folder (to the derivatives folder).

so- this issue is “on the border”, I think- on one hand- the general structure of the root folder wasn’t a valid BIDS, but on the other hand- if I run the pipeline only for one participant (with a valid bids structure)- it would be nice if the code wouldn’t fail because of a non valid structure of another participant, in case one wants to rename another participant’s folder just to put it aside for a while…
Would love to hear your opinion.

Many thanks

I would say you should always validate your data using https://github.com/INCF/bids-validator and not expect any BIDS app to work correctly if the input dataset is not valid.

I can’t fully agree, since in this case the relevant data is valid-
why shouldn’t fmriprep take only the data it should work on?
(i.e.- take the data from the folder of participant sub-030 and not look at other directories)

I agree that this feature isn’t a “must”, but it’s a desirable and useful feature- fmriprep shouldn’t care about other participants folders (it’s often convenient to move folders aside and keep them in the directory)

I can’t see see why fmriprep should fail on the data of the relevant participants, if there exists some other directory of another participant with faulty structure.

I would encourage you to send a pull request on GitHub with such improvement. More information on how to contribute to the project: https://github.com/poldracklab/fmriprep/blob/master/CONTRIBUTING.md

1 Like

Will do my best to start contributing soon!
(as soon as the current project would slightly slow down)

1 Like

I’d say this is exactly the issue: although you see sub-030 and sub-030_fm as different subjects, they are the same subject to the eyes of the BIDS parser. It just happens that the second has a weird fm key that maybe the user knows how to process. And thus, fMRIPrep goes on (until crashes).

You could just include sub-030_fm/ in your .bidsignore file if you REALLY want to keep that one under your structure without interfering with fMRIPrep. However, I would not agree this is a good idea if you were to share the dataset with a colleague.

That all said, we will take in any good improvements to fMRIPrep. There could be some use cases we don’t fully understand at this moment.

1 Like

“they are the same subject to the eyes of the BIDS parser”-
But why shouldn’t the bids parser check against the folder’s name, too?

Thank you for your answer!