fMRIprep not producing confound timeseries file: anat_fit_wf.fast error reported

Summary of what happened:

I am pre-processing anatomical (T1) and functional data for multiple subjects. While I have successfully pre-processed 21 subjects, the last 7 return an error that I believe is resulting in a lack of confound_timeseries.tsv file, which is needed for the next step in our analysis. All subjects input data is in BIDS format, all of which is the same, so it is unclear why this error is now occurring. The error relates to: Node Name: fmriprep_23_2_wf.sub_WLfMRI041_wf.anat_fit_wf.fast

Command used (and if a helper script was used, a link to the helper script or the command generated):

fmriprep-docker /Users/lendlab/Desktop/WL_fMRI/data/BIDS /Users/lendlab/Desktop/WL_fMRI/data/derivatives/fmriprep participant --participant-label sub-WLfMRI033 --fs-license-file /Users/lendlab/Desktop/WL_fMRI/license.txt --bids-filter-file /Users/lendlab/Desktop/WL_fMRI/anat_filter_JMS.py

Version:

Environment (Docker, Singularity / Apptainer, custom installation):

Docker

Data formatted according to a validatable standard? Please provide the output of the validator:

I do not have the output to provide, however, no errors are reported (there are some warnings). The BIDS data that has run successfully is formatted the same as the BIDS data that is not running successfully.

Relevant log outputs (up to 20 lines):

Node Name: fmriprep_23_2_wf.sub_WLfMRI041_wf.anat_fit_wf.fast
File: /out/sub-WLfMRI041/log/20240925-202014_d1b38fee-cd4b-444d-8cb3-2ec372f74399/crash-20240926-013018-root-fast-ec8b9450-7279-4f9e-869c-5c15b8b24210.txt
Working Directory: /tmp/work/fmriprep_23_2_wf/sub_WLfMRI041_wf/anat_fit_wf/fast
Inputs:
args:
bias_iters:
bias_lowpass:
environ: {'FSLOUTPUTTYPE': 'NIFTI_GZ'}
hyper:
img_type:
in_files:
init_seg_smooth:
init_transform:
iters_afterbias:
manual_seg:
mixel_smooth:
no_bias: True
no_pve:
number_classes:
other_priors:
out_basename:
output_biascorrected:
output_biasfield:
output_type: NIFTI_GZ
probability_maps: True
segment_iters:
segments: True
use_priors:
verbose:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/opt/conda/envs/fmriprep/lib/python3.10/site-packages/nipype/pipeline/plugins/multiproc.py", line 67, in run_node
    result["result"] = node.run(updatehash=updatehash)
  File "/opt/conda/envs/fmriprep/lib/python3.10/site-packages/nipype/pipeline/engine/nodes.py", line 527, in run
    result = self._run_interface(execute=True)
  File "/opt/conda/envs/fmriprep/lib/python3.10/site-packages/nipype/pipeline/engine/nodes.py", line 645, in _run_interface
    return self._run_command(execute)
  File "/opt/conda/envs/fmriprep/lib/python3.10/site-packages/nipype/pipeline/engine/nodes.py", line 771, in _run_command
    raise NodeExecutionError(msg)
nipype.pipeline.engine.nodes.NodeExecutionError: Exception raised while executing Node fast.

Cmdline:
	fast -N -p -g -S 1 /tmp/work/fmriprep_23_2_wf/sub_WLfMRI041_wf/anat_fit_wf/fast/sub-WLfMRI041_ses-Session2_T1w_noise_corrected_corrected_xform_masked.nii.gz
Stdout:

Stderr:
	Killed
Traceback:
	  File "/opt/conda/envs/fmriprep/lib/python3.10/site-packages/nipype/interfaces/base/core.py", line 453, in aggregate_outputs
	    setattr(outputs, key, val)
	  File "/opt/conda/envs/fmriprep/lib/python3.10/site-packages/nipype/interfaces/base/traits_extension.py", line 330, in validate
	    value = super(File, self).validate(objekt, name, value, return_pathlike=True)
	  File "/opt/conda/envs/fmriprep/lib/python3.10/site-packages/nipype/interfaces/base/traits_extension.py", line 135, in validate
	    self.error(objekt, name, str(value))
	  File "/opt/conda/envs/fmriprep/lib/python3.10/site-packages/traits/base_trait_handler.py", line 74, in error
	    raise TraitError(
	traits.trait_errors.TraitError: The 'tissue_class_map' trait of a FASTOutputSpec instance must be a pathlike object or string representing an existing file, but a value of '/tmp/work/fmriprep_23_2_wf/sub_WLfMRI041_wf/anat_fit_wf/fast/sub-WLfMRI041_ses-Session2_T1w_noise_corrected_corrected_xform_masked_seg.nii.gz'  was specified.

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

File "/opt/conda/envs/fmriprep/lib/python3.10/site-packages/nipype/interfaces/base/core.py", line 400, in run
	    outputs = self.aggregate_outputs(runtime)
	  File "/opt/conda/envs/fmriprep/lib/python3.10/site-packages/nipype/interfaces/base/core.py", line 460, in aggregate_outputs
	    raise FileNotFoundError(msg)
	FileNotFoundError: No such file or directory '/tmp/work/fmriprep_23_2_wf/sub_WLfMRI041_wf/anat_fit_wf/fast/sub-WLfMRI041_ses-Session2_T1w_noise_corrected_corrected_xform_masked_seg.nii.gz' for output 'tissue_class_map' of a FAST interface```

### Screenshots / relevant information:
Processing system: 
macOS Catalina
Version 10.15.7
Processor: 3.4 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
Memory: 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
_____

Hi @Julie_Schneider and welcome to neurostars!

This means you are out of memory, can you devote more resources?

Best,
Steven

Hi @Steven – I never realized that Killed was a function of lacking memory. This is incredibly helpful. I was able to devote more resources and this appears to have resolved the issue.

Sincere thanks for your advice!
Julie

1 Like