Freesurfer and fMRIPrep surface mesh differences

I’m a little confused about the differences between the surface meshes that come out in the freesurfer folders for subjects and the segmentations that are produced in subjects’ anat folder from the fMRIprep derivatives folder. For example, what are the differences between derivatives/sourcedata/freesurfer/sub-000/surf/lh.inflated and derivatives/sub-000/anat/sub-000_hemi-L_inflated.surf.gii? When I load these files they have a different number of vertices despite the fact that both are the native space of the same participant. Additionally, when I load these surface meshes into freeview, the lh.inflated mesh shows curvature information but sub-000_hemi-L_inflated.surf.gii does not.

Finally, when I run analysis in volume and then project statiscal maps to the surface using these files, only the .curv files generated with the lh.inflated meshes will open in freeview.

Hi @JMitchell

Can you confirm which version of fMRIPrep will running, and which version of freesurfer you’re comparing to ?

The current, stable release of fMRIPrep will either re-use existing freesurfer outputs – if available – or run version 6.0.1.

Elizabeth

Hi @emdupre

fMRIPrep 20.2.1 and FreeSurfer 6.0.1 were used