GSOC 2020 project idea 30: DIPY: Extend DIPY Horizon workflow

Extend dipy_horizon workflow by adding more options for the visualization of the diffusion data. DIPY Horizon is a workflow that enables to visualize diffusion data such as dMRI, tractograms, white matter bundles and more from command line. This project requires the student to add support for different types of visualizations in the horizon workflow.

• Add support to visualize orientation distribution functions (odfs) generated from diffusion data
  • Create an option in the horizon workflow to project anatomical measures such as functional anisotropy (FA), mean diffusivity (MD), etc on the white matter tracts and visualize them
  • Add Qt functionality in dipy_horizon workflow

Difficulty: Easy / Intermediate

Skills required: Python, VTK, Qt.

Mentors:@bramsh Bramsh Chandio (bqchandi@iu.edu), @Garyfallidis Eleftherios Garyfallidis (elef@indiana.edu)

1 Like

Hi,
I’m Hadiqa Bukhari, an undergrad software engineering student from Pakistan. I am interested in working on this project since I am interested in the technologies used in this project. I have had experience in working with python, github and Qt. I made a GUI desktop application using the Qt framework on visual studio. I work frequently with Python since I have been taking machine learning and image processing courses, most of which use the Python programming language. Let me know how I can start contributing to this project and where to get started.
Thanks

@bramsh , @Garyfallidis I am Shaurjya Mandal 3rd year student of Department of Computer Science and Engineering,Center for Research in Nanoscience and Nanotechnology(CRNN), University of Calcutta. I went through Idea number 30 in the Idea list for INCF for GSOC 2020. I have experience in working with Python, Qt, Tensorflow and I have been working with CNNs for sometime now. I found the project really interesting and challenging and I would love to learn more about it and make a contribution to the project. If there are more requirements for the work I am willing to begin with them so that I can fluent by the time the coding period begins. I have some experience working on a Defense Research project which involves data visualisation, image processing and computer vision.

Hello @hadiqaalamdar and @Shaurjya_Mandal,

You can start by making a small enhancement/bugfix/documentation fix/etc to DIPY. It can help you get some idea about how things would work during the GSoC. The fix does not need to be related to your proposal.

Getting started with DIPY tutorial https://dipy.org/documentation/1.1.1./examples_built/quick_start/#example-quick-start

DIPY GSoC 2020 GitHub page https://github.com/dipy/dipy/wiki/Google-Summer-of-Code-2020

Bramsh

Hi @bramsh thanks for getting in contact with me. I’ll be sure to get started on the given task.

@bramsh, @Garyfallidis .
Hi, hope this message finds you well. I’m Omar Elsherif 2nd year student studying Medical Informatics at Faculty of Computers and Artificial Intelligence Benha Univeristy. I want to have a career in Neuroscience research using the power of AI and Data science. I find this project really interesting for me and gonna take my steps into it. It’s been a year and half of Machine learning and data analysis study and I am here to apply my skills and acquire new ones.
I went through the comments and will start with DIPY tutorial that @bramsh mentioned then I will taste the flavor of DIPY github issues and try to fix some.
I am happy being here and hope to get the most fun of the process.
Omar