GSoC 2021 Project Idea 21.2: HDNet projects - Developing a Python-based codebase for analyzing stimulus prediction capabilities of neurons: improve stimulus prediction

There are good theoretical reasons to believe that neurons learn to predict their input, but fewer experimental tests of this hypothesis. The mentor and co-mentor on this project have developed new methods for assessing the predictive capabilities of a large number of neurons from data using both information theoretic and a Bayesian framework. These methods have not yet been optimized and integrated into an existing, ever-growing codebase that will, upon release, allow other groups to easily assess the predictive capabilities of their neural populations.

One of the metrics for assessing stimulus prediction is based on the predictive information, the shared information between present neural response and future stimulus. The student on this project is expected to be familiar with Python, Matlab, and TensorFlow/Keras, and either familiar with or eager to learn new techniques for mutual information estimation in the undersampled limit. He or she will implement existing state-of-the-art algorithms for such estimation and add such algorithms to the existing codebase.

The result of this project will be a state-of-the-art compilation of predictive information estimation methods.

Mentor: Sarah Marzen @smarzen
Co-mentor: Joost le Feber

I’m getting this when I’m running the setup file and maybe due to this(maybe!), I’m later getting this:

When I try to run it finally,
I followed the installation guidelines given at: Installing hdnet — hdnet v0.1 documentation

Hi @shubh ,

Thanks for reaching out. We are in touch with the mentors of this project and they will get back to you shortly. In the meantime, I request you to keep up the project idea exploration that you are doing and share further queries here so that the mentors can help you out.

Cheers

Thanks @arnab1896 !
I think I got it though!
I think there need to be some edits in HDNet Documentation, both in the installation guidelines as well as in the Math Requirments section which is still not there and left as ‘TODO’!
I’ll love to contribute towards them, if anyone of you could guide me towards how to

MANAGED BY INCF