GSoC 2022 Project Idea 15.1: Interactive graph visualization of the BIDS schema (175 h)

The ancpBIDS implementation is based on the machine-readable schema files in the BIDS specification Github repository. Interested contributors are expected to implement a graph visualization for users to interactively navigate through transitions and nodes of interest of the schema. In contrast to reading the human-readable BIDS specification, this approach allows BIDS users to more quickly gain knowledge about formalized aspects of the specification.

Skills: Contributors should be familiar with Python and the specification of the Brain Imaging Data Structure to successfully work within this project.

Tasks/Goals:

• Analyze problem domain - What is the challenge?
  • Design possible solutions
  • Implement and test at least one of the solutions
  • Report status on a bi-weekly basis to a broader audience (lab intern, online)

Mentors: Erdal Karaca @erdalkaraca (lead mentor), Aaron Reer @Aaron_Reer (co-mentor)

Tech keywords: Python, BIDS

Ideally, the result of this contribution will be directly integrated into the sphinx documentation of ancpBIDS:

https://ancpbids.readthedocs.io/en/latest/index.html

@Aaron_Reer @erdalkaraca

Hello, my name is Ryan and I’m an incoming PhD student at USC. I have extensive experience working with the BIDS specification in my current position as a lab tech. I have been using software tools like FSL, FreeSurfer (I collaborate with this lab directly), AFNI, MRtrix, and others for about 3 and a half years. I’ve been writing in shell and Python for 2 years and have graduate-level training in Python. I would be thrilled to work on this project. Please let me know if you have any questions for me and if I would be a good fit for what you’re looking for.

Cheers,

Ryan

Hi Ryan,
Thanks a lot for your interest.
Python and BIDS are a very good start.

Best regards,
Erdal