GSoC 2022 Project Idea 5.2: Implementing CSV data browser and querying component for AnalySim (175 h)

AnalySim is a data sharing and analysis platform that seeks to simplify the visualization of datasets. With AnalySim researchers can collaborate by hosting their data and publishing their analysis notebooks to the world, or browse through multiple user generated projects.
AnalySim aims to be a data sharing and hosting resource for crowdsourced-analysis of a specific type of dataset: one where many parameter combinations need to be tested and measurements are recorded for each instance. These datasets are very useful in mathematical modeling of natural phenomena, such as in computational neuroscience. We provide easy sharing, analysis, visualization, and collaboration capabilities on these datasets.

Project is still in progress and a draft is available at: https://analysim-dev.herokuapp.com/home

This project will involve implementing a CSV file data browser and querying component for AnalySim. The developer would have to modify both the backend API service in C# and frontend components in Angular. An intuitive user interaction workflow would need to be designed as well.

Main Technologies: Angular, Typescript, Bootstrap, ASP.Net Core, C#, PostgreSQL

Technologies for analysis notebooks: JavaScript, ObservableHQ, D3.js, Vega, Plotly, potential for Jupyter add-on

Skill level: intermediate/advanced preferable

Tech keywords: Angular, Typescript, Bootstrap, ASP.Net Core, C#, PostgreSQL, JavaScript, ObservableHQ, D3.js, Vega, Plotly

Lead Mentor: Cengiz Gunay (cengique@users.sf.net)
Back-up mentor: Anca Doloc-Mihu (adolocm@gmail.com)

1 Like

Hello everyone, I wanted to express my interest to work on the data-related and backend components for AnalySim’s hosting platform. If possible, could I receive some guidance on the steps I should take to look into contributing to the project?
@malin @cengique

Hi Ryan,
Thank you for contacting us. Can you let us know what software development skills you have and could contribute to the project? We would like to chat with you sometime maybe next week if you are available (Pl enter here your available times http://whenisgood.net/zkhttgw). Please send us a resume emphasizing your software skills.
@RyanGambrell @cengique

Good afternoon,

Thank you for getting back to me. I’ve gone ahead and entered some meeting times that would be good for me this week. I will also be sending in my resume soon.

While I have more of an interest and focus on the backend for the project, I do have a lot of experience with many different web technologies. From that experience, I’ve learned how to setup and structure web stacks and I’ve learned how to write and integrate both the frontend and backend components of web applications.

My software development skillset consists of various frontend and backend technologies. For the frontend, I have experience with HTML, CSS, client-side JavaScript, and the React UI framework. I’m also actively working with bootstrap and have worked with developing applications on Android in the past. For the backend, I have experience with Java, Node.js and server-side JavaScript, PHP, Express, MongoDB and SQL (MySQL, SQLITE). I’m also currently working on a project that involves Google’s Firebase and I’m actively studying Oracle SQL.
@adm @cengique

1 Like

Good evening,

I’ve gone ahead and emailed my resume.
@adm @cengique

1 Like

We got it, Ryan. We will get back to you soon with a time to meet sometime at the end of next week.