GSoC 2022 Project Idea 6.1: Eye-tracker using deep learning with Python + TensorFlow/Pytorch (350 h)

Hello Umang, Welcome aboard. Please see the previous replies on this page and you will get the answers to your questions. If you still have more questions, please feel free to ask. I look forward to receiving your application.

Hello Muhammed, Welcome aboard. Please see the previous replies on this page and you will get the answers to your questions. If you still have more questions, please feel free to ask. I look forward to receiving your application.

1 Like

Hello @Umang-pandey @chiral-carbon @samiali @prantik @Shayan_Shafquat @ABD @Dhwanit_Balwani

If you have any additional questions, please get in touch with me. The proposal preparation period is starting soon, and I strongly encourage you all to apply (to this project, and/or to the other project I am mentoring). All the best !!

3 Likes

Hi everyone. Absolutely newcomer to INCF community

And I’m also a Computer Vision and Deep Learning enthusiast. Currently, a final year undergraduate student at Veermata Jijabai Technological Institute, India. I have interned at Tata-IQ(Analytical wing of Tata’s) where I worked on real-time object detection algorithms, and have also experience in tracking algorithms. I am also doing a research internship on a topic related to leaf classification and disease detection using fewer computational resources.

I came across the project list for this year’s Google Summer of Code and found the project titled “Eye-tracker using deep learning with Python + TensorFlow/Pytorch” quite interesting to me
I am going through the paper https://gazecapture.csail.mit.edu/cvpr2016_gazecapture.pdf and last years implementation Gaze Track | gaze-track

1 Like

Hi @suresh.krishna
I am pretty sure that it should be possible to DM users in this and similar discourse based forums, but it just isn’t possible for me.

I can’t only DM you, but also any user. Thus, probably I don’t have permissions to do so.

Any suggestion what should I in this case to get in touch with you? I am aware that I could email you from your reply, but I am not sure it’s the best suited place to discuss GSoC.

1 Like

@Selim just messaged you here…

I encourage you all to also take a look at this closely related project, especially if you also have some Android/iOS skills/interests: GSoC 2022 Project Idea 6.2: Efficient app-based measurement of visual functions in infants and young children (350 h)

1 Like

Hi @suresh.krishna
I am interested in this project and have experience in the field of computer vision. I am very comfortable with PyTorch and have multiple ongoing as well as completed deep learning projects I have recently started learning about building vision models to emulate human vision aspects such as foveation as well.

I wanted to know what exactly is expected in the GSoC proposal for this project and is there some basic outline that is to be followed?

@Amapocho welcome, and thanks for the interest. I wrote a bit about what is expected in the proposal in the replies above. The GSoC material, once the portal opens on April 4, will also have information. I believe there is even a way to look at the accepted proposals from previous years ?

There is some material here about how to write good proposals - First Steps in GSoC | Sayak Paul

We can give you all feedback if you send us draft proposals in time. The portal will allow you to do that.

In short, show us what you can do… without being too verbose or writing too long a proposal… include your relevant past experience, write up what you think might be done in this space and how you would do it, look at last year’s work on this topic (the accepted contributor from last year is one of the mentors this year) and build on that… etc. Eventually, it is more about you showing your ability and experience, and then we pick based on that and your CV, and then we can figure out what we actually do together.

Btw, even if you are not selected, you are most welcome if you still want to contribute to the project.

1 Like

I had a few ideas about the project but am not sure what exact data will be available and what computational power we will have to work with. I wanted to message or mail you but wasn’t able to find any means to do so.

Greetings, @suresh.krishna , i would like to contribute in this project. Can you please guide me how to go on further. As well make me know detailed view of Proposal for this project and can you please mention your mail id to discuss ideas further.

@ADITYA_SINGH please take a look at the previous messages on this thread. welcome aboard.

ok thanks, i will look

Hey Suresh,

I have been going through the resources

I have a few questions:

1. Currently Apple devices come with a neural engine which accelerates the Neural Network.Does our model have to be compatible with the neural engine?
  2. Do you want us to build on last year’s architecture(network) or come up with a new one?
  3. Can we try creating our own dataset or should we work on the ones that are already available online such as MIT GazeCapture Dataset
  4. Should I add also the research papers which I feel are suitable in the proposal

Regards
Abhinav Venkatadri

@Abhinav0512

1. Not necessary
  2. Both are fine, but last year’s architecture has a paper (Google’s) showing it works, so your alternative would have to compete with that…
  3. ones available online is more practical, since this is a coding period…but some data collection is fine of course, especially if well-supported
  4. sure.
1 Like

Thank you for your response. Those are very helpful points that I will keep in my mind while diving more into the topic and drafting the proposal

hi , im a interested in the project where can i send my cv and my proposal knowing that i already did it with emailing mr.suresh but he told me to use Neurostars portal and i cant message him directly ?

Hi Djamel, I think it is because you are a completely new user to Neurostars. Because of that, he mentor might need to message you first for messages between you to be allowed. I have increased your “trust level” one step, please try again.

It is also possible to upload your proposal to the GSoC portal, but please notify the mentor if you do that.

/Malin, org admin

1 Like

Hi, I am Arnav Zutshi a student of Veermata Jeejabai Technological Institute Mumbai and I am interested to do this project, can i send the project mentor my proposal for a review?

yes… if sent in time, we can give you feedback. just submit on the portal and send me a message saying you ahve done so. @arnavzutshi