GSoC 2023 Project Idea 10.2 OpenEphys data streaming (350 h)

DataJoint is a Houston-based company whose mission is to build and operate a science orchestration platform that eliminates barriers for researchers who rely on automation, AI, and high-performance computing. Our projects include:

1. DataJoint Core: open-source Python and MATLAB APIs for defining and operating computational data pipelines—sequences of steps for data acquisition, processing, and transformation—via a MySQL backend.
  2. DataJoint Elements: a growing compilation of community-curated, open-source software modules for building automated data pipelines and analysis workflows for neuroscience experiments.
  3. DataJoint Works: a cloud-based platform that hosts pipelines built via Core and Elements, facilitating collaboration and reanalysis.

DataJoint shares in the Open Ephys mission to help labs migrate to open standards. A primary goal of our Element Array Ephys is to provide an open standard for data management and preprocessing. To help teams ingest data directly into the Element, we envision an Open Ephys Plugin for streaming data directly into a database or AWS S3 bucket. This project aims to :

1. Develop an Open Ephys plugin for streaming data to a server hosting a DataJoint database.
  2. Develop unit tests for the above plugin.
  3. Make this mechanism available to DataJoint Works users for direct data upload and automated preprocessing.

Skill level: Advanced

Required skills: Python, C++

Time commitment: Half-time or full-time (350 h)

Lead mentor: Dimitri Yatsenko, Kabilar Gunalan

Project website: datajoint.com

Backup mentors: Chris Brozdowski

Tech keywords: Python, Open Ephys, Steaming, MySQL, AWS

Hello @dimitri @kabilar!
I’m Viren Varma, I’m a senior at NIT Karnataka, I’m applying for gsoc’23. I’m relatively new to open source. But I have a vast knowledge of deep learning, computer vision and Bio-informatics through personal and course projects. I’ve got experience in working in python and c++ and my core CS fundamental are clear. This project perfectly aligns with my interests and I’d love to work on and learn from the project. Can you guide me on getting started with the project?
Thank you

Hi @Viren_Varma,

Thanks for your interest in our project! The first steps would be to set up development environments to run DataJoint Element Array Ephys and to add an OpenEphys plugin. Before you begin, let’s meet virtually to discuss the project (scheduling link).

Thank you!

Kabi

@kabilar Sir, I’ve sent you the meet invite. I’m looking forward to our meeting!

@Viren_Varma Sounds great!