GSoC 2023 Project Idea 20.2 Global data governance and health monitor for neuro-informatics (175 h)

The International Neuroinformatics Coordinating Facility is an international non-profit organization with the mission to develop, evaluate, and endorse standards and best practices that embrace the principles of Open, FAIR, and Citable neuroscience. As an umbrella organization, INCF helps neuroscience and neuroinformatics researchers, labs and research partners around the globe with contextual resources. One of the key objectives of INCF is to help catalyze the world of brain cell research, neuroinformatics, cancer cell detection and other domains by ensuring that more labs around the world are embracing principles of sharing datasets and following globally relevant protocols. This in turn will help push for progress faster, ultimately save and improve lives. Through this project idea, we are hoping to develop a complete end to end product that will be a data governance hub for the world of neuroscience research. It will be a one stop solution for researchers, students, governments and academia to understand the blockers of data protocols, important next steps and the current landscape of data sharing across the world’s major universities, research labs and researchers.

Tasks
● Contextualize data standards in the domain of neuroinformatics
● Scalable database design for future portability
● User facing dashboard with dictionary of datasets

Minimal set of deliverables
● Requirement specification - Prepared by the candidate after understanding the functionality.
● System Design - Detailed plan for development of the portal and test cases.
● Implementation and testing - Details of implementation and testing of the platform.

Skill level: Intermediate

Required skills: Web development, Javascript or Django, Backend is language agnostic

Time commitment: Half-time (175 h)

Lead mentor: Arnab Banerjee (arnab1896@gmail.com)

Project website:

1. INCF main website : https://www.incf.org/
  2. INCF github : International Neuroinformatics Coordinating Facility (INCF) · GitHub

Backup mentors: n/a

Tech keywords: Web, opendata, standardization, protocol, neuroinformatics

Hi there :wave:, the project aligns with my areas of interest and I am interested in participating as a contributor. Is there an official communication platform, such as Slack or a community channel, where I can engage with other members and acquire comprehensive understanding of the project’s objectives and deliverables? Thank you.

Hey @arnab1896, would you please explain more about this project.

1. What all features we have to incorporate in this particular application.
  2. Which data and information has to be shown on this application.
  3. What would be the main spotlights of this application.

@arnab1896 can you please explain more for the same.

@stealthflame @armanalam03
Apologies for the super long delay

Thank you so much for your interest. There are a few moving pieces for this project and I will share more details within the next 1 week. In the meantime, please feel free to share any thoughts/ideas you may have. This project is truly an open board project where I would like to hear your thoughts first.

Ideal would be to chalk up your idea/s on a Doc/PPT and feel free to share the link here so that I can add comments as a viewer.

Thanks very much,
Arnab

Thankyou @arnab1896 for replying.
I would need a small hint to brainstorm ideas for this projects. As mentioned in the above description, it is a data governance hub. What type of data will be shown on this hub (eg. research papers, latest news and events, achievements, etc)?

Thank you for the update, @arnab1896. I completely understand that there are some moving pieces to this project, and I’m looking forward to learning more about it when you’re ready to share. In the meantime, I’m happy to brainstorm ideas for the project with you. Are there any specific areas or topics that you would like me to focus on? Please let me know, and I’d be happy to share my thoughts and ideas with you. Thank you!

Hi! I came across the project, and I find it really fascinating. I believe my skills and experience would be a great fit for this project. I am really interested in contributing to global data governance and health monitor for neuro-informatics, and I’ve relevant skills for contributing to it as I’ve experience in Full stack web development (React, Node, MongoDB, PostgresSQL, REST API, Django, AWS). I’ve worked on 10+ full stack projects & 4 internships in the past 1.5 years, and I have also completed the App Academy Open Software Engineering Bootcamp (500+ hours of full-stack online curriculum), where I learned a variety of skills. Additionally, I have worked on various frontend and backend projects, and I’m also preparing for the AWS Certified Developer - Associate certification. I’m willing to learn new skills while contributing to the project. I’ll put all my efforts into successfully contributing to the project. Thanks a lot.

My name is Atharva Purohit, and I am an undergraduate student from VIT, Pune, India. I came across your project, and I find it incredibly fascinating. I would love to contribute to the project since I have been working with the Django framework since my first year, and I consider myself quite proficient in it. I have also worked on 10+ full stack web development projects which has almost product level detailing, which has helped me develop my skills in Django.

I have started reviewing the project details and related issues mentioned on the project’s page. However, I would appreciate some guidance on how to proceed further. I am eager to learn and make meaningful contributions to the project.

Thank you for considering my interest in the project, and I look forward to hearing from you.

@arnab1896 Any updates regarding this project?

@stealthflame @armanalam03 @Ayushman_Tripathi @Atharva_Purohit
Thanks a lot for showing interest. :slight_smile:

Please share your email ID so that I can invite you to a group call. I will be hosting a call in a few days and will make sure to invite all of you to share further details.

Thanks arnab. My email ID is: armanalam032001@gmail.com

Sure Arnab, my mail id is: manishtyagi088@gmail.com

Hey Arnab, I am interested in this project prakashchandra3786@gmail.com

Hi arnab my email id is atharvaspurohi@gmail.com

Hey @arnab1896 ,
I’m Ankur Raut, an undergrad student from VIT, Pune. I came across your project and it looks really interesting to me. I have worked on Django framework and have good hands on experience on them. I would love to contribute to this project. Here is my email: ankurraut2402@gmail.com

Looking forward to get some guidance from you!

Thanks for the follow-up, my email is yasharora102@gmail.com

Hello, I’m interested in contributing to this project. I’m a final year master’s student in Informatics and AI at Paris-Saclay University. Is there any available recording or notes regarding the call you held?

Hi all,

This is the final week for the proposal deadline and while I am happy to see that many of you were interested in this project idea, I regret to share that we will not float this project idea for 2023 anymore.

Nonetheless there are many other project ideas in INCF and if you need any guidance be sure to reach out! All the best for the final week. :slight_smile:

Thanks,
Arnab