GSoC 2023 Project Idea 7.2 Working on improving graphical interface and user experience (175 h)

AnalySim is a data sharing and analysis platform that seeks to simplify the visualization of datasets. With Analysim researchers can collaborate by hosting their data and publishing their analysis notebooks to the world, or browse through multiple user generated projects.

AnalySim aims to be a data sharing and hosting resource for crowdsourced-analysis of a specific type of dataset: one where many parameter combinations need to be tested and measurements are recorded for each instance. These datasets are very useful in mathematical modeling of natural phenomena, such as in computational neuroscience. We provide easy sharing, analysis, visualization, and collaboration capabilities on these datasets.

Skill level: Intermediate/advanced

Required skills: Angular, Typescript, Bootstrap, ASP.Net Core, C#, PostgreSQL, JavaScript, ObservableHQ, D3.js, Vega, Plotly, potential for Jupyter add-on

Time commitment: Half-time (175 h)

Lead mentor: Anca Doloc-Mihu

Project website: AnalySim

Backup mentors: Cengiz Gunay

Tech keywords: AnalySim

1 Like

Hi @arnab1896,
I am Abhinav, an undergraduate student studying CSE with specialization in AI. I have recently developed a web application for machine learning visualization, including visualization of datasets. I am friendly with the tech stack and I am interested in contributing to this project, can you please guide me on how to get started?

Hi Abhinav,
Let me know if you have questions related to the project.
Anca

Hello @adm ,
I have a few questions regarding the Analysim project:

• Is there an IRC Channel or Slack Channel available for the project?
  • Could you please provide information about the current status of the project and outline its current goals and objectives?
  • I am interested in contributing to the project and understand that the appsettings.json file is necessary for connecting to the database. Would it be possible for you to provide me with these files?

Hi there,
Here are the answers to your question:
We have a private Discord the team will be working and communicating for the project.
“current status of the project and outline its current goals and objective”: AnalySim is a data sharing and analysis platform that seeks to simplify the visualization of datasets. With AnalySim researchers can collaborate by hosting their data and publishing their analysis notebooks to the world, or browse through multiple user-generated projects. AnalySim aims to be a data sharing and hosting resource for crowdsourced analysis of a specific type of dataset: one where many parameter combinations need to be tested and measurements are recorded for each instance. These datasets are very useful in the mathematical modeling of natural phenomena, such as in computational neuroscience. We provide easy sharing, analysis, visualization, and collaboration capabilities on these datasets. Project is still in progress and a draft is available at: https://analysim-dev.herokuapp.com/home (we were doing updates, but we have the link working now). This project will involve improving the graphical interface and user experience for AnalySim. The developer would focus on the visual elements and would be good to be able to understand the AnalySim architecture. We already progressed on this task last summer, however, the task is now to finalize all the pages for the system, the notebook functionality, and the csv file viewing.
We are happy to hear of your interest in the project. We do not provide any files to the public at this time. In other words, once you get accepted to work on the project and hired by the GSoC program, you will have access to the entire system you will be working on.
Anca

PS. You @Abhinavxox can email me at adolocmihu@ggc.edu and we can have a private discussion and even an online meeting if you want. Let me know.

1 Like

Here’s the updated site link: https://www.analysim.tech/

Hey @arnab1896
Its Himanshu Poonia, a CSE Sophomore, Community Lead, Front End Developer and Open Source Enthusiast. I have created some front end projects using vanilla CSS and JavaScript while I did some open source contributions using Bootstrap. I mainly focus on front end part of website to make it as interactive as possible. As a beginner in open source, I think this project suits me well. I would love to make contributions in front end part so that I can improve Graphical Interface. I saw updated website of Analysim and I have some ideas to improve UI. Kindly guide me through project.
I use vanilla CSS and JavaScript more than Bootstrap and React but I learn things at good pace so doing projects in other similar stack shouldn’t be a problem.

hii @arnab1896

i am sanskar alok mohakool . can you just tail about the resource and something where can i know more about this project and help me for some guidance

We are happy to hear of your interest in the project. Here are some details about the project:
AnalySim is a data sharing and analysis platform that seeks to simplify the visualization of datasets. With AnalySim researchers can collaborate by hosting their data and publishing their analysis notebooks to the world, or browse through multiple user-generated projects. AnalySim aims to be a data sharing and hosting resource for crowdsourced analysis of a specific type of dataset: one where many parameter combinations need to be tested and measurements are recorded for each instance. These datasets are very useful in the mathematical modeling of natural phenomena, such as in computational neuroscience. We provide easy sharing, analysis, visualization, and collaboration capabilities on these datasets. Project is still in progress and a draft is available at: https://analysim-dev.herokuapp.com/home . This project will involve improving the graphical interface and user experience for AnalySim. The developer would focus on the visual elements and would be good to be able to understand the AnalySim architecture. We already progressed on this task last summer, however, the task is now to finalize all the pages for the system, the notebook functionality, and the csv file viewing.

Here’s the updated site link: https://www.analysim.tech/

1 Like

Github repo is here GitHub - soft-eng-practicum/AnalySim

1 Like

Hi @adm and @arnab1896 !!
Myself Pon Raja Prabhu S K, a Pre-Final year CSE undergraduate student, Open Source Enthusiast , Problem solver and a good Team Player. I am a Full Stack Web Developer who loves to code and build new cool applications. I am a Self Starter & Quick Learner who is Passionate about Coding & Technology. I have a good knowledge and working experience in Angular, Typescript and Firebase as I had contributed to an Open Source Organization - Worktez. I got know about this project as I went through about AnalySim on GSOC portal and I am highly interested to contribute on this project as much as I can and improve myself as a better developer by learning more through contributing.

We are happy to hear of your interest in the project. As I understand, the GSoC is open for submissions now so maybe you will apply for this project. Let e know if you have any questions.

1 Like

I suggest you try to install AnalySim and check with me about the project interface.

1 Like

Yes Sure !! Thank you very much @adm !!

While setting up the project, appsettings.json and appsettings.Development.json files are missing so can you please let me know whether should I create the file with the given structure in the readme file and add my keys in it ?!

Hi @adm ! I had completed my project setup of AnalySim. Can you please guide me to where should I start contributing.

Yes. We do not provide you these files for security reasons (at this time). Just create your own.

1 Like

So, let’s talk about what you see with respect to the interface. Maybe you want to build a list of items you see missing or that need to be changed and we can talk about these. You can email me directly this list at adolocm @ gmail.com

1 Like

Sure @adm !! Will share my ideas in the mail.