GSoC 2024 Project Idea 7.1 UI update for ASP/IJ (175 h)

The Active Segmentation platform for ImageJ (ASP/IJ) was developed in the scope of GSOC 2016 - 2021. The plugin provides a general-purpose environment that allows biologists and other domain experts to use transparently state-of-the-art techniques in machine learning to achieve excellent image segmentation and classification. ImageJ is a public-domain Java image processing program extensively used in life and material sciences. The program was designed with an open architecture that provides extensibility via plugins.

Weka (Waikato Environment for Knowledge Analysis) is a collection of machine learning algorithms for data mining tasks. Weka contains tools for data pre-processing, classification, regression, clustering, association rules, and visualization. It is also well-suited for developing new machine-learning schemes. The algorithms can be applied directly to a dataset or called from your Java.

The project idea: The Weka library offers some advanced visualization and analysis functionality. The student will develop a new visualization and reporting panel within ASP/IJ, exposing the Weka visualization and analysis functions.

Tasks
● Fix existing issues and bugs
● SQL database design
● GUI implementation and integration

Minimal set of deliverables
● Requirement specification - Prepared by the candidate after understanding the functionality.
● System Design - Detailed plan for development of the plugin and test cases.
● Implementation and testing - Details of implementation and testing of the platform.

Skill level: Intermediate

Required skills: Java, Machine learning.

Time commitment: Half-time (175 h)

Lead mentor: Dimiter Prodanov (dimiterpp@gmail.com), INCF Belgian Node

Project website:

1. ImageJ: https://imagej.nih.gov/
  2. Weka Weka 3 - Data Mining with Open Source Machine Learning Software in Java
  3. Active Segmentation : GitHub - sumit3203/ACTIVESEGMENTATION: Active Segmentation Project

Backup mentors: Sumit Vohra, ZIB, Berlin, Germany; Teodor Vakarelsky; IICT -BAS

Tech keywords: Image Segmentation

Greetings @dprodanov, I am interested in this project and want to know the steps to run the ‘Active Segmentation’ code after cloning/fork locally.

Thank you.

Abhishek Maity
e-mail: amaity.cs@gmail.com
GitHub: abhishekmaity (Abhishek Maity) · GitHub

Hi @dprodanov ,

I am Rikas, a CS undergrad. excited to work on this project, it aligns perfectly with my skills and experience. I have successfully setup the project and everything running smoothly, including ImageJ, Weka, and JavaFX GUI. Everything is working as it should, and I am now diving into understanding their functionality while fixing existing issues and bugs.
It is awesome to have you as my mentor, thank you.

rikasilamdeen@gmail.com

Hi @abhishek , If you have successfully setup the project without any issues, here’s what you need to do to run the program: Navigate to ‘Edit Configurations’ and choose ‘MODULE_DIR’ as the program argument for your application (Active_Segmentation_).

This is great that you manage to do it yourself.
Here are some presentations/tutorials about the platform

Hi @dprodanov! My name is Diya, I am undergraduate student at the University of Birmingham studying Computer Science. I am highly interested in this project and believe that my skillset and previous experience using Java, Weka, SQL and JavaFx will make me a valuable contributer to this project! I look forward to discussing ideas for the project with you.

Thank you,
Diya

A couple of question:

I have successfully downloaded and set up ImageJ on my computer and have been exploring its functionality however, I am unable to see the Segmentation plugin required to access the Active Segmentation feature (I have tried the method shown in the video you attached in the post above). Is this plugin available on Macs? If so, do you know how can I access it?

Where can I find the documentation for ASP/IJ in order to further familiarise myself with the details of the platform and attempt to spot and fix any bugs/issues?

Thank you,
Diya

Thank you for your reply and sharing these resources, including the mdpi article, they greatly help me understand the project’s functionality. I can understand your availability, and confident that I can effectively manage these resources for the project’s next steps. I am committed to fixing issues/bugs and enhancing the project’s implementation and design through PRs. Rest assured, I am fully focused on only this project for gsoc’24. I am grateful for your guidance as my mentor, thank you.

Thank you for sharing all the resources.

@dprodanov can you provide some samples image files by which I can explore all the available features, limitations and issues in the ‘Active Segmentation’ plugin in ImageJ. Thank you.

@dprodanov As I am going through the source code (in VS Code). For e.g. in EvaluationCurve.java I am getting errors and missing files issues. See below

Can you please help in this. Thank you.

Dear Abhishek,
You need to configure JFreeChart into the classpath.
All necessary jars are part of the distribution.

best regards,

Dimiter

1 Like

Thanks for the helping out in identifying the error.