Healthy Lifestyle Habits for Researchers

What are some healthy habits that you do every day that unexpectedly made you a better researcher (e.g., journaling, jogging, meditating)? I’m currently piecing together a better routine for myself and would love any insight!

Regular walks outside throughout the day and finding ways to get away from the computer when the work day is over. Making a point to have non research related hobbies is important, IMO. For me it’s cooking, making music, and mountain biking.

Meditation is great, I really need to get back into the habit…

Getting away from the computer and getting involved with volunteering in your local community - however you can safely do so with the current state of public health. Understanding and responding to the needs of your community will help you focus your research for greater benefit to society, while also encouraging ethical actions and a healthy work-life balance!

Thank you! I think that having a non research hobby is a great idea but definitely something I need to still explore more for myself. It’s so easy to get overwhelmed by work and school. I actually started deliberately scheduling in time for breaks and exercise.

1 Like

This has been so helpful especially since I do research in public health. It’s definitely so rewarding to work with your community, and for me it also compliments my research pretty well, like in shaping how I think about certain conditions, avenues of treatment, stigmas, etc. It does seem to help focus in the research a lot!