Help Needed with NiMARE MACM Analysis - Code Modification and Runtime

Summary of what happened:

I am currently facing an issue while using NiMARE for MACM analysis, and I would greatly appreciate your assistance. Following the tutorial available [here] (NiMARE: Neuroimaging Meta-Analysis Research Environment — NiMARE 0.0.8+0.ged4abc4.dirty documentation) , specifically in the “MKDA Chi2 with FWE correction” section, I encountered an error during the execution of the following code:

mkda = nimare.meta.MKDAChi2(kernel__r=10)
mkda.fit(dset_sel, dset_unsel)

corr = nimare.correct.FWECorrector(method="montecarlo", n_iters=1000)
cres = corr.transform(mkda.results)

The error message I received was ‘MKDAChi2’ object has no attribute ‘results.’ To address this, I modified the code from mkda.fit(dset_sel, dset_unsel) to mkda.results = mkda.fit(dset_sel, dset_unsel). This resolved the error, but the line of code seems to run for an extended period, approximately six to seven hours.

I have a couple of questions:

1. Is my modification to the code correct, changing from mkda.fit(dset_sel, dset_unsel) to mkda.results = mkda.fit(dset_sel, dset_unsel)?
  2. Is the runtime of six to seven hours normal for the given configuration: Macbook Pro 2017, 2.3GHz Dual-core Intel Core i5? Approximately how much time does it typically take to complete the entire process?

I would be grateful for any insights or suggestions regarding this matter. Thank you in advance for your time and assistance.

Best regards,
Yaya

It looks like you’re following an older tutorial. I would recommend matching the documentation you follow with the version of the software you’re using. The .results attribute was removed from MetaEstimator objects in version 0.0.12, so you must have a NiMARE version >=0.0.12 installed.

I wouldn’t modify the MetaEstimator object. Instead, I would recommend creating a new variable results (e.g., results = mkda.fit(dset_sel, dset_unsel)).

That sounds about right. Running MKDAChi2 Monte Carlo permutations will, unfortunately, take a long time. You can increase the number of cores you use (n_cores) to speed things up. I can’t predict how long the whole process should take, but two recommendations I would make are (1) increase the number of iterations to 10000 for a publication-quality meta-analysis and (2) run it on a high-performance cluster.

1 Like

Thank you very much !

1 Like

Just so you know, @adelavega recent made some modifications to MKDAChi2 that I think should both speed it up and reduce memory usage (see Add `sum_across_studies` to kda by adelavega · Pull Request #859 · neurostuff/NiMARE · GitHub and Optimize compute_kda_ma for memory and speed by adelavega · Pull Request #857 · neurostuff/NiMARE · GitHub). Please consider trying out the newest release (0.2.1).

@Yaya_Jiang Yes, this new version should speed things up about 3x on a single processor, but also reduces memory by around 20x, which means you can run on more cores in parallel even on a laptop. Try it!

I would also say that for first pass results, you could use FDRCorrector, which would be almost instant.

For montecarlo, there’s just no getting around that even something that takes 20s x 10,000 iterations = 55 hours of computation (single core), unfortunately. So I would also reccomend a HPC for “final” publication level results.

1 Like