Help with analysis of Nuisance Signals Using Nilearn

Hello everyone,

I am currently analyzing rs-fMRI data that was preprocessed using an older version of fMRIPrep. My plan is to perform analyses of functional connectivity dynamics using sliding window method. I recently read an article (https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2023.10.06.561221v2.full) that offers valuable advice on performing the same analyses with both actual signals and nuisance signals.

I am attempting to extract these nuisance signals using Nilearn, as shown below:

def empirical_BOLD_nuisance_signal(subject):
>
    fmri_filename = f'/{subject}_task-rest_bold_space-T1w_preproc.nii.gz'
    confounds_filename = f'{subject}_task-rest_bold_confounds.tsv'
    atlas_filename = f'{subject}_aparc+aseg.mgz'
    fmri_img = image.load_img(fmri_filename)
    atlas_img = image.load_img(atlas_filename)
    confounds = pd.read_csv(confounds_filename, sep='\t')
    confounds = confounds[['X', 'Y', 'Z', 'RotX', 'RotY', 'RotZ']].values
    masker = NiftiLabelsMasker(labels_img=atlas_img, detrend=True, standardize='zscore_sample', filter='butterworth', low_pass=0.1, high_pass=0.01, t_r=2.0, ensure_finite=False, extrapolate=False)
    raw_parcellated_signals = masker.fit_transform(fmri_img)
    regions_of_interest = list(range(1001, 1036)) + list(range(2001, 2036))
    indices_of_interest = [i for i, label in enumerate(masker.labels_) if label in regions_of_interest]
    raw_parcellated_signals = raw_parcellated_signals[:, indices_of_interest]
    nuisance_model = LinearRegression()
    nuisance_model.fit(confounds, raw_parcellated_signals)
    nuisance_signals = nuisance_model.predict(confounds)

return nuisance_signals.T

My question is whether I am doing this correctly.

Additionally, I would greatly appreciate any feedback on whether I am applying the DK parcellation correctly here. Specifically, I am using a preprocessed fMRIPrep NIfTI file in T1w space (see file name) along with the aparc+aseg.mgz file (which I believe is the individual atlas in the same space, as per the standard output of FreeSurfer).

As you can see, I am a beginner in neuroimaging, so I would welcome any suggestions and help.

Thank you in advance,
Szymon

Hi,
If you simply want to denoise brain signals, you don’t have to run the nuisance regression yourself.
Simply use

parcellated_signals = masker.fit_transform(fmri_img, confounds=confounds)

HTH,
Bertrand

Hello,

Thank you for your response. I am doing similar things when I need denoised signals. However, for the analyses I mentioned, I require the regressed “nuisance signal”.

Than what you do looks reasonable. Of course, if you have many confounds, it will start overfitting.
Best,
Bertrand

Dear bthirion,

Thank you so much for help - I am using only those 6.