Help with freesurfer's mri_label2vol

Greetings,

I’m trying to learn about the freesurfer files produced by my fmriprep v20.2.7 pipeline.
My goal is to use the perirhinal label file generated by freesurfer and turn it into a native space binary mask.

My searches lead me to use mri_label2vol - Free Surfer Wiki function to transform my perirhinal_exvivo.thresh.label files to volumes.

import subprocess

# Define the subject's directory

SUBJECTS_DIR="/xxx/xxx/xxx/xxx/bids/derivatives/fmriprep-20.2.7"

# Define the subject ID

SUBJECT_ID="sub-xxx"

# Define the label paths

label_path_left = f"{SUBJECTS_DIR}/freesurfer/{SUBJECT_ID}/label/lh.perirhinal_exvivo.thresh.label"

label_path_right = f"{SUBJECTS_DIR}/freesurfer/{SUBJECT_ID}/label/rh.perirhinal_exvivo.thresh.label"

template_path = f"{SUBJECTS_DIR}/fmriprep/{SUBJECT_ID}/anat/{SUBJECT_ID}_desc-preproc_T1w.nii.gz"

# Define the output paths for the binary volume masks

output_path_left = f"{SUBJECTS_DIR}/freesurfer/{SUBJECT_ID}/mri/lh.perirhinal_exvivo.thresh.mask.nii.gz"

output_path_right = f"{SUBJECTS_DIR}/freesurfer/{SUBJECT_ID}/mri/rh.perirhinal_exvivo.thresh.mask.nii.gz"

# Convert the left hemisphere label to a binary volume mask

subprocess.run(["mri_label2vol", "--label", label_path_left, "--temp", template_path, "--subject", SUBJECT_ID, "--hemi", "lh", "--identity", "--fillthresh", "0.5", "--o", output_path_left], check=True)

# Convert the left hemisphere label to a binary volume mask

subprocess.run(["mri_label2vol", "--label", label_path_right, "--temp", template_path, "--subject", SUBJECT_ID, "--hemi", "rh", "--identity", "--fillthresh", "0.5", "--o", output_path_right], check=True)

from nilearn import plotting

plotting.plot_roi(output_path_left, bg_img=template_path, cmap="Set1", draw_cross=False)

plotting.plot_roi(output_path_right, bg_img=template_path, cmap="Set1", draw_cross=False)

however when I plot this mask, it doesn’t seem to be in the right place

I’m guessing that I’m missing --reg regmatfile parameter, but I don’t know which file that would be…

You probably want --regheader, not --identity.

Thanks,

–regheader on its own produces an error

subprocess.run(["mri_label2vol", "--label", label_path_right, "--temp", template_path, "--subject", SUBJECT_ID, "--hemi", "rh", "--regheader",  "--fillthresh", "0.5", "--o", output_path_right], check=True)
ERROR: --regheader requires one argument unless you
are going to use a --seg. If so specify that before --regheader

…but providing an orig.mgz it works?

regheader_path = f"{SUBJECTS_DIR}/freesurfer/{SUBJECT_ID}/mri/orig.mgz"

subprocess.run(["mri_label2vol", "--label", label_path_left, "--temp", template_path, "--subject", SUBJECT_ID, "--hemi", "lh", "--regheader", regheader_path,  "--fillthresh", "0.5", "--o", output_path_left], check=True)

is this correct? There is not much documentation on this flag for mri_label2vol

Seems like it should be fine. Does the output look reasonable?

Yes, its spot on, thanks!