Incorrect sidecar filenames in func

Hello all,
I am trying to make a pipeline that ultimately converts all of our data into a BIDS-compatible format. When the sidecars get created for func, it seems that the resulting filename is some conglomeration of the intended filename and the protocol name key from the header. I am not sure what is causing this, but instead of getting files that look like sub-001_task-MID_run-01_bold.json (or .nii.gz), I instead get filenames approximately like sub-001_task-MID_run-01_bold.5_60sl_4_times_20210421094004.json. The extraneous data seems to be coming from a few keys in the headers, but I’m not sure how to tell dcm2bids to ignore that stuff.

My config file is set up as such:

{
  "descriptions": [
    {
      "dataType": "func",
      "modalityLabel": "bold",
      "customLabels": "task-MID",
      "criteria": {
        "SidecarFilename": "*8_*_EPI_2.5_60sl_4_times*"
      }
    },
    {
      "customLabels": "task-MID",
        "SidecarFilename": "*7_*_EPI_2.5_60sl_4_times*"
      }
    },
    {
      "customLabels": "task-SST",
        "SidecarFilename": "*10_*_EPI_2.5_60sl_4_times*"
      }
    },
    {
      "customLabels": "task-SST",
        "SidecarFilename": "*9_*_EPI_2.5_60sl_4_times*"
      }
    },
    {
      "dataType": "fmap",
      "modalityLabel": "magnitude1",
        "SidecarFilename": "*_gre_field_mapping_230FOV_*_e1.json"
      },
      "intendedFor": [
      ]
    },
    {
      "modalityLabel": "magnitude2",
        "SidecarFilename": "*_gre_field_mapping_230FOV_*_e2.json"
      },
      ]
    },
    {
      "modalityLabel": "phasediff",
        "SidecarFilename": "*_gre_field_mapping_230FOV_*_e2_ph.json"
      },
      ]
    },
    {
      "modalityLabel": "epi",
      "customLabels": "dir-j",
        "SidecarFilename": "*_EPI_2_5_60sl_PA_*"
      },
      ]
    },
    {
      "dataType": "anat",
      "modalityLabel": "T1w",
        "SeriesDescription": "t1_mprage_sag_p2"
      }
    }
  ]
}

Any help with this issue would be greatly appreciated. Of course, I can supply more information about my environment as needed.

Hi and welcome to neurostars!

This might be because you are specifying the sidecar filename as a criterion. Instead, you should try to use something like the SeriesDescription or some other field within the json as criteria.

Best,
Steven

I’m not sure I’m understanding. I changed “SidecarFilename” to “SeriesDescription”, and nothing has changed. Is that what you meant with your suggestion?

You need the series description criteria to match the series description field in the JSON files. Did you run a dcm2bids_helper on a subject to see the JSON outputs for a single subject?

I have figured out the issue. Our SeriesDescription/ProtocolName uses a period in the name, so when dcm2bids says ext = Path(srcFile).suffixes in line 141 of dcm2bids.py, the filename is being parsed at the period in the SeriesDescription, with everything to the right of the period being treated as a file extension which is later added back to the filename. Adding a check to dcm2bids.py that makes sure the extensions are either .nii, .gz, or .json fixes my issue and results in a bids-validated dataset. Is this something worth making a pull request about? Or should people just not use periods in their SeriesDescription/ProtocolName lmao

Good catch! I would open an issue / PR about this.

Wow, it seems there was a fix introduced to dcm2bids for this exact behavior on June 1st (see here). I must not be using the most up to date dcm2bids, though I could have sworn I updated to 2.1.9 not two months ago.