Long Term Maintanence of BIDS dataset

Hi BIDS experts,
I am currently working with different BIDS datasets, and have several questions regarding the long term maintainence of BIDS dataset. Usually, I use heuDiCov to do the conversion/organization from dicom to nifti BIDS and do the preprocessing with fMRIPrep, etc. I am wondering how could we update the BIDS dataset when we have new images coming to the existing BIDS dataset, do we have tools for this purpose? For examle:

1. What are the recommendations (practical guides) for adding/deleting or changing subjects (images of new subjects) for the existing BIDS dataset?
  2. What are the recommendations for adding/deleting or changing sessions of images of subjects (new sessions for the existing subjects) for the existing BIDS dataset?
    Great thanks!
    Cheers,
    Vincent (Qing Wang)

Vincent (Qing Wang),

As I understand it, Datalad is a nice solution for keeping curated datasets up-to-date: The Handbook — The DataLad Handbook

I helped to curate the ABCD-BIDS Community Collection 3165 on NDA and that is the direction they are headed now. That said, there are some simple changes you can make in your data as-is to answer the questions you posed (I think):

1. To add: Just add the subject/sessions and keep tabs of everything available within a participants.tsv file (with a paired sidecar participants.json data dictionary of course). To change or delete/remove: Change away, but add something in your modality-agnostic CHANGES file to indicate why you made that change or perhaps notate a change in your participants.tsv file explaining why.
  2. As new sessions come in, just like in #1 above here, add them in and update your CHANGES file and consider adding something to your README about available sessions across some/most/all subjects.

Altogether, I would say when curating BIDS data to just think about the end-user receiving or downloading your data. They are your “customer” and the person you want to know what you’ve curated.

~Eric

Great thanks for your detailed answers and suggestions, will try to explore DataLad!