Modelling of interneurons classes using point neurons

Hi all,

I have a question about how to model different classes of inhibitory neurons (PV, somatostatin) using point neurons. Would it be possible? What would be the key parameters to tune (and are there any established references values for params to use)? Any suggestions on relevant literature is welcome :slight_smile:
Thanks a lot

Roberto

1 Like

Hey Roberto,

I think hand tuning would be really hard if you are interested in the differences between different interneuron subtypes. I’m currently working with this automatic fitting package to fit point processes to spiking data:

How well we are able to capture differences between interneurons depends on the details of the point process. I am currently working with the Adaptive Exponential integrate and fire neuron and it works okish. It doesn’t fit well to bursting but captures spike frequency adaptation pretty well.

Best,
Daniel

1 Like

recommend a paper of mine

In stimulation, we included a few types of pyramidal cells and interneurons using point model.
You can also find the simulations from my github repo
1 Like

Soltesz lab has a full-scale hippocampal microcircuit model that include different interneuron subtypes.

If your research interests in your full-time work include modeling inhibitory neurons, hit me up! I’m looking for computational speakers for an inhibition conference I’m co-chairing.

2 Likes

Hey Roberto. Usually what I do is to match the passive properties of the interneuron type (input resistance, membrane time constant, sag ratio, f-I curve, V-I curve, etc.) with those derived from experiments. One good source is neuroelectro webpage. If you want to simulate hippocampal INs then you can also use Hippocampome.org. Then, I try to match the synaptic properties (\tau_{rise}, \tau_{decay}, delay, \bar{g}). Of course, this needs a lot of reading and maybe some inferences because many times you cannot find all values you are looking for. Usually, I use the adaptive exponential integrate-and-fire neuronal model.

2 Likes

Thank you very much for your kind replies! They were very helpful :wink:

Hi,
I can also recommend the Cell Types Database from the Allen Brain Institute that is freely available. Here is a starting point: http://celltypes.brain-map.org/#ephys and here you can for example explore some of the electrophysiological features such as the membrane time constant but also many more: http://celltypes.brain-map.org/experiment/electrophysiology/474626527

Details on all the ephys features can be found in the ephys white paper.

There is also a python package to access the data and on this page you can filter for the transgenic line which I think lets you filter for SOM or PV cells (but not sure about this).

1 Like