Nilearn contrast map leaks information

I want to extract maps specific to each Trial and each FIR delay of a run as input for my decoding analysis.
For some trials, the contrast is computed, but results in a map that is missing a lot of information in the brain. As there is no error message and it does not happen all of the time but just in some cases, I cannot figure out what is going wrong. In the “empty” spaces, the map contains of zeros.

Hi @zieranna and welcome to neurostars!

It will be hard for us to help without seeing a code example used to create these images. In particular it would be valuable to see how a brain mask is being defined.

Best,
Steven

My code is:

fir =  FirstLevelModel(t_r=1.2, hrf_model="fir", fir_delays=[1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12,
13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25], standardize = False, signal_scaling=False)

for r in range(0, len(fmri_img), 2): 
   fir.fit([fmri_img[r],[[fmri_img[r+1]], events= [event_glm[r], event_glm[r+1]])
   design_matrix = pd.DataFrame(fir.design_matrices[0])
   design_matrix2 = pd.DataFrame(fir.design_matrices[1])
   column_all = np.unique((design_matrix.columns, design_matrix2.columns)) 
   contrasts = {
        column: np.array((np.zeros(len(design_matrix.columns)),
        np.zeros(len(design_matrix2.columns))))
        for i, column in enumerate(column_all) }

for m, mat in enumerate(contrasts.keys()): 
        for c1, col1 in enumerate(design_matrix.columns): 
              if col1 == mat: 
                 contrasts[str(mat)][0][c1] = 1
        for c2, col2 in enumerate(design_matrix2.columns): 
              if col2==mat: 
                 contrasts[str(mat)][1][c1] = 1

for i, column in tqdm(enumerate(contrasts.keys()): 
        t_map = fir.compute_contrast((contrasts[column][0], contrasts[column][1]), stat_type='t', output_type='stat')
        t_map.to_filename() 

I am always fitting two runs, because my conditions are randomized across the two of them.

Do you have a brain mask that you can pass in with the FirstLevelModel argument mask_img?