Nipype (0.13.0) Freesurfer (6.0.0)'s Normalize bug?

Hi I am trying to run Freesurfer’s mri_normalize on nypype using the Freersurfer interface Normalize.
I want this run on a list of files using MapNode, but I get an error. I wrote a code snippet that reproduces the error.
(error message at the end)

from nipype.interfaces.freesurfer.preprocess import MNIBiasCorrection, Normalize
import nipype.pipeline.engine as pe

normalizer = pe.MapNode(interface=Normalize(),
                              iterfield=['in_file'],
                              name='normalizer')

normalizer.inputs.in_file = [u'/data1/cooked/AAD/XXX5484092/visit_4/T1W/XXX5484092_visit_4_T1W_N708XXX.nii.gz',
                               u'/data1/cooked/TNf/XXX5484092/visit_1/T1W/XXX5484092_visit_1_T1W_N752922.nii.gz',
                               u'/data1/cooked/TNf/XXX5484092/visit_2/T1W/XXX5484092_visit_2_T1W_N902212.nii.gz']
normalizer.base_dir = '/data1/pipelines/temp'

normalizer.run()

The error messae I get is:

Exception: Subnodes of node: normalizer failed:
Subnode 0 failed
Error:
‘_Undefined’ object has no attribute ‘startswith’
Interface Normalize failed to run.
Subnode 1 failed
Error:
Subnode 2 failed
Error:

This is the content of the report.rst file of Subnode 0. It should be noted that it produces and output file that looks fine.

Node: freesurfer

Hierarchy : _normalizer0
Exec ID : _normalizer0

Original Inputs

• args :
  • environ : {u’SUBJECTS_DIR’: ‘/home/TTI/opt/freesurfer-Linux-centos6_x86_64-stable-pub-v6.0.0/subjects’}
  • gradient :
  • ignore_exception : False
  • in_file : /data1/cooked/AAD/XXX5484092/visit_4/T1W/XXX5484092_visit_4_T1W_N708XXX.nii.gz
  • mask :
  • out_file :
  • segmentation :
  • subjects_dir : /home/TTI/opt/freesurfer-Linux-centos6_x86_64-stable-pub-v6.0.0/subjects
  • terminal_output : stream
  • transform :

It should also be noted that the code doesn’t crash I if use another interface such as MNIBiasCorrection instead of Normalize.
The question is: Why does it crash? Am I making a mistake? I suspect that it is a bug, but need confirmation.

Thank you!
Pablo

Hi Pablo,

I can’t reproduce this on the latest release. Can you try this on nipype 0.13.1?

Hi,
The issue seems solved after upgrading to the new 0.13.1. Thank you!