OCNS clinical computational SIG: meet and greet, initial discussions

Hi there!

I would like to start a clinical computational SIG.

This could be a meeting place for everyone interested in clinical applications of computational neuroscience, both from the clinical and theoretical side. Ideally we could bring all perspectives together. We could discuss current roadblocks to translating models into clinical research and ways to overcome these. Ideally we would propose a workshop focussed on clinical computational neuroscience. If you have other interests and ideas, please let’s discuss!

So if you want to bring more „clinics“ into computational neuroscience, please shortly introduce yourself—what you do, what your interests are; and follow that up with what you’d like to see the SIG do.

Best wishes

Xenia

6 Likes

Hey Xenia!
I am Ashmita Reddy, medical undergrad and clinical researcher, my research work aims to diagnose psychiatric disorders using AI and nonivasive biomarkers. I would love to be a part of your Clinical Computational SIG.
Best,
Ashmita

3 Likes

Hi Xenia,
That sounds like a good idea!
I am a Physics Engineer by training, did a PhD in clinical neurosciences (mainly focussing on multiple sclerosis) and I am currently appointed as senior research fellow. I guess computational neurosciences would be a big added value moving fields like clinical neurophysiology from describing a difference between a diseased population and a healthy population towards a model-based understanding of where that difference may have emerged.

In the past few years, I have noticed how difficult it is (1) to collect multimodal data that is suitable for these models (2) devise an adequate preprocessing pipeline for different modalities and (3) find computational models that are as simple as possible but sufficiently complex to model the effect of interest. Especially (2) seems difficult when working with clinical populations as many methods are ‘mainly’ developed using healthy subjects and I have the feeling their validity goes down quite quickly in clinical populations.

So, for me, a clinical computational SIG could discuss such issues and should connect people working with different modalities to move forward a bit quicker :slight_smile:

All the best,

Jeroen

1 Like

Interesting
@Hisham @om

2 Likes

Dear Jeroen and Ashmita,

thanks for your messages. Looking forward to discussing with you- it is really nice to have people from different fields! Also, Jeroen, all the points that you raised should be discussed in the SIG to evaluate potential solutions.

The clinical computational SIG will be announced soon via the OCNS mailing list to increase its visibility. As soon as we have a decent group size (of about eight) we can meet up virtually for a first discussion.

To anyone who is interested but does not want to publicly introduce him/herself, please send me a private message so that I become aware of your interest in this SIG.

Best wishes,
Xenia

2 Likes

It seems great to have such a group. I am a begineer in the computational field and learning computational approaches . And the idea of this SIG intrigues me.

1 Like

Dear Xenia,

I would be enthusiastic about joining the group.
I am an associate professor at the University of Lorraine, Nancy, France. My initial background is mathematics, then I did a second master in cognitive sciences, before doing a Ph.D. in computational neurosciences. I am currently working on developing models of healthy and pathological neuronal dynamics and brain structures in several types of pathologies: hippocampal activity in temporal lobe epilepsy (with the University hospital of Nancy), basal ganglia in Parkinson disease, and I am going, since more recently, towards neuropsychiatric disorders. I indeed identified common mechanisms at the cellular level that I would find interesting to question with more clinical data…

As others who replied to this call, I find it often difficult to collect multimodal data that is suitable for our models, with adequate controls subjects, etc, all the more so one does not physically work on the same site as the clinicians. A SIG in computational neuroscience could help to gather people with similar interests, both from the clinical and the computational sides, in order to find matches between clinicians and computational neuroscientists.

Best,

Laure

1 Like

Dear all,

Thank you all for your interest in this group. To spark a discussion between all who are interested in this topic, I am currently preparing a proposal for a workshop on clinical computational neuroscience at OCNS 2021. We have already a few potential speakers. However, there is still space and therefore Iwould really appreciate any idea/topic you would like to discuss @OCNS! Please reach out to me if you want to be involved further.

Best wishes
Xenia

1 Like