OpenNeuro Deleted Files Keep Coming Back

Dear community,

I am currently working on updating a dataset on openneuro (OpenNeuro) but at any time I am trying to delete derivatives files using the website (either by the single delete or the bulk delete), the files keep coming back in my draft.

Has anyone already faced this issue or would have some advices on how to proceed to delete files?

Thanks a lot in advance,
Seb

hi @sebastientourbier

thank you for surfacing this! we are aware of this bug and are working on a solution. may you please share the files you would like removed?

thank you,
Franklin

Hi @franklin,

Thanks a lot for your reply!

It is indeed quite a big list of files as we improving the organization of naming of some of our non-compliant derivatives in derivatives/cartool-v3.8.0 and derivatives/eeglab-v14.1.1 to make them more BIDS-ish. For instance files were initially put in derivatives/cartool-v3.8.0/sub-XX and derivatives/eeglab-v14.1.1/sub-XX and we moved them to derivatives/cartool-v3.8.0/sub-XX/eeg and derivatives/eeglab-v14.1.1/sub-XX/eeg, but also a number of those files have been renamed. Moreover, as we now include raw EEG data with all descriptors (i.e. _eeg.json, _events.tsv/.json, _channel.tsv, electrodes.tsv), the _eeg.json and _events.tsv files were removed from derivatives/eeglab-v14.1.1/sub-XX/eeg

Would there be a way to permanently delete these two folders such that we can re-upload a brand new version of them?
I guess this would indeed be the easier way.

hi @sebastientourbier

thank you for your message. Yep - the solution is under development. I agree with the easier approach and will be feasible once the solution has been deployed.

Thank you,
Franklin

hi @sebastientourbier

I apologize for the delay in resolving this bug. We have recently deployed a potential patch to resolve this - which folders were you attempting to delete? The derivatives/cartool-v3.8.0 and derivatives/eeglab-v14.1.1 folders?

Thank you,
Franklin

No worries! Thanks @franklin!

Yes I was trying to delete derivatives/cartool-v3.8.0 and derivatives/eeglab-v14.1.1 folders.

Hello!

I am also experiencing this issue after updating a dataset that we want to make public soon (ds003592). I accidentally added some duplicates that need to be deleted.

Is there a way to implement the patch on my end or should I list the files here?

Thanks!
Roni

hi @sebastientourbier and @rsetton

thank you for your messages. This appears to be a bug a few of us are encountering. There is a GitHub issue documenting this. That issue will help track the progress we make in resolving this.

I apologize for the inconvenience

Thank you,
Franklin

hi @sebastientourbier

quick update: we were able to remove the derivatives folders, but unfortunately the operation removed all the folders rather than the selected few. Perhaps maybe better to re-upload those folders to have a clean upload.

Thank you,
Franklin

hi @rsetton

perhaps may you please share a few files that you wanted to be removed so I can replicate the behavior for the development team?

thank you,
Franklin

Yep, there aren’t many so here they are. Thanks!

sub-01/ses-2/sub-01_ses-2_task-rest_physio.json
sub-01/ses-2/sub-01_ses-2_task-rest_physio.tsv.gz

note these are outside the func directory

sub-110/ses-1/func/sub-110_ses-2_task-rest_echo-1_bold.json

sub-158/ses-2/sub-158_ses-2_task-rest_physio.json
sub-158/ses-2/sub-158_ses-2_task-rest_physio.tsv.gz

note these are outside the func directory

sub-213/sub-213_ses-1_task-rest_physio.json
sub-213/sub-213_ses-1_task-rest_physio.tsv.gz

note these are outside the ses-1 directory

Thanks @franklin! Yes I think the same, better to re-upload all the derivatives folders to have clean upload! Let you know as soon as I have more news

1 Like

Hi @rsetton

Good news! It appears the delete function is restored! I went ahead and tested it on the sub-01 files and they did not come back after refreshing the page. Perhaps may try removing the other files on your side to test our solution?

Thank you,
Franklin

@franklin

Yes, it looks like it worked! Thank you! :raised_hands:

Roni

1 Like

Great to hear!

Franklin