Optimal settings for fmriPrep Docker, with ica aroma, 16GB RAM

Hello,

What settings might be the fastest, but yet successful, on a new Mac with 16GB RAM, fmriprep through Docker, with ica-aroma?

I had allocated 12 GB RAM in Docker, and 8 CPUs. Total computer CPUs is 16 and 16 GB RAM. This worked fine for fmriprep until I tried adding --use-aroma. Ran into memory issues. Was told normally would require 23-24GB RAM allocated.

I was advised to use --n-cpus 1, it should get right to aroma, and then I can kill the process after aroma and rerun without --n-cpus 1. I have been having issues with this idea taking a very long time to get to aroma in the first place. So, if possible, I would like to optimize this for speed but still be successful with memory.

Options I have found so far include:
(1) Changing number of CPUs, RAM, and swap on docker. But limit of RAM is 16GB total on the whole machine.
(2) And the following potential inputs for fmriprep (but I do not know if these would help for aroma and if so, what settings to use for them):

--nprocs, --nthreads, --n_cpus, --n-cpus
maximum number of threads across all processes

--omp-nthreads
maximum number of threads per-process

--mem, --mem_mb, --mem-mb
upper bound memory limit for fMRIPrep processes

--low-mem
attempt to reduce memory usage (will increase disk usage in working directory)

Any suggestions here on optimal settings for fmriprep through docker for aroma with a total of 16GB RAM on the whole machine?

Thanks!

Not a direct answer, but have you considered using a could-based processing system, like brainlife.io? Besides that, you try: (1) either disable freesurfer or run freesurfer ahead of time (2) only doing a single functional fun at a time using the bids filter file input.

Steven