The University of Eastern Finland is inviting applications for a Postdoctoral Researcher position. The position will be filled for a fixed term from 1 April 2023 (or as agreed) to 31 August 2026. Please submit your application no later than 10 March 2023. Click here for details and to apply.
Brief description of the position
We are seeking a highly motivated Postdoctoral Researcher to join the A.I. Virtanen Institute for Molecular Sciences at the Faculty of Health Sciences in Kuopio, Finland. In this role, you will have the opportunity to conduct technical research in the field of neuroscience, specifically by developing and applying computational neuroimaging (MRI) analysis methods to projects primarily focusing on neurodegenerative diseases. The appointee will work closely with Academy Research Fellow Dogu Baran Aydogan and Prof. Jussi Tohka.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Developing computational methods for connectivity and microstructure analysis with the aim of achieving technical objectives, such as predicting disease progression or developing biomarkers
- Developing image processing and data analysis pipelines, especially for diffusion MRI and tractography, to study large datasets such as ADNI
- Authoring high-quality scientific papers and contributing to the preparation of research projects.
We welcome candidates with an interest in multimodal data (e.g., multimodal imaging, EEG, genetics, behaviour) and a strong desire to take an integrative approach to understanding the brain and its disorders.
Our requirements and expectations
- A doctoral degree in a relevant discipline
- Excellent scientific communication skills in English, both in terms of writing scientific papers and presenting research work
- Hands-on experience in data analysis and method development (machine learning, complex networks, image/signal analysis) for neuroscientific applications
- Strong programming and computational skills
- Excellent collaboration skills
- Experience in collaborating with multi-disciplinary academic research groups, hospitals, and industrial partners
- Experience in managing research projects and teams, practical experience from top-level international research institutes, and previous experience in neuroscience are considered to be assets
- Previous experience in the supervision of PhD and MSc students and a successful track record of acquiring external funding are beneficial but not mandatory.