Preprocessed BOLD fMRI time series in same space as full Freesurfer segmentation (aseg.mgz)

Hi,

I am new to fMRIPrep and am having some trouble navigating the output files. For my project, I want to interpolate a BOLD signal onto a brain mesh generated from a T1 image with the end goal of using it as a source term in a FEM-based pulsatility simulation.

To create the mesh, I need a segmentation including ventricles and CSF space (freesurfer labels 4, 14, 15, 24, 43) . The file fmriprep/sourcedata/freesurfer/sub-01/mri/aseg.mgz has what I need. I cannot find any files under fmriprep/sub-01/anat that has all necessary labels.

Next, I need the full preprocessed BOLD time series in the same physical space as the segmentation I use for meshing. Looking under fmriprep/sub-01/func/ I find

sub-01_task-checker_run-01_desc-confounds_timeseries.json
sub-01_task-checker_run-01_desc-confounds_timeseries.tsv
sub-01_task-checker_run-01_desc-coreg_boldref.json
sub-01_task-checker_run-01_desc-coreg_boldref.nii.gz
sub-01_task-checker_run-01_desc-hmc_boldref.json
sub-01_task-checker_run-01_desc-hmc_boldref.nii.gz
sub-01_task-checker_run-01_from-boldref_to-T1w_mode-image_desc-coreg_xfm.json
sub-01_task-checker_run-01_from-boldref_to-T1w_mode-image_desc-coreg_xfm.txt
sub-01_task-checker_run-01_from-orig_to-boldref_mode-image_desc-hmc_xfm.json
sub-01_task-checker_run-01_from-orig_to-boldref_mode-image_desc-hmc_xfm.txt
sub-01_task-checker_run-01_space-MNI152NLin2009cAsym_boldref.nii.gz
sub-01_task-checker_run-01_space-MNI152NLin2009cAsym_desc-brain_mask.nii.gz
sub-01_task-checker_run-01_space-MNI152NLin2009cAsym_desc-preproc_bold.json
sub-01_task-checker_run-01_space-MNI152NLin2009cAsym_desc-preproc_bold.nii.gz

Among these, at least sub-01_task-checker_run-01_space-MNI152NLin2009cAsym_desc-preproc_bold.nii.gz has the full time series, so I may be able to use that if I get the segmentation to the same space.

I think I need to either:
a) transform the aseg.mgz into MNI space and use the <...>space-MNI152NLin2009cAsym_desc-preproc_bold.nii.gz file. Under fmriprep/sub-01/anat I find what I assume are transforms,

sub-01_from-MNI152NLin2009cAsym_to-T1w_mode-image_xfm.h5	
sub-01_from-T1w_to-MNI152NLin2009cAsym_mode-image_xfm.h5

but cannot figure out how to apply them.
b) re-run fmriprep with some additional options to generate the outputs I need automatically.

Appreciate any advice!

Thanks,
Ingvild

Hi @ingvildsd, and welcome to neurostars!

Perhaps the --output-space fsnative would be useful for you?

From Defining standard and nonstandard spaces where data will be resampled — fmriprep version documentation :

• fsnative: similarly to the anat space for volumetric references, including the fsnative space will instruct fMRIPrep to sample the original BOLD data onto FreeSurfer’s reconstructed surfaces for this individual.

Best,
Steven

Thanks, @Steven! I’ll have a look at that.