Problem with the fMRIprep (V1.40) report

Hi,
I found the order of Comcorr and AROMA in the report is confusing. As I understand it, fMRIprep first conducted Comcorr, generated most confounds, and performed AROMA in the end. However, the description of ICA-AROMA processing was reported first, and then Comcorr. The command and report are as following:

fMRIPrep command: /usr/local/miniconda/bin/fmriprep /data /out participant --participant-label 01 --ignore slicetiming --use-aroma --use-syn-sdc --fs-no-reconall -w /scratch

For each of the 4 BOLD runs found per subject (across all tasks and sessions), the following preprocessing was performed. First, a reference volume and its skull-stripped version were generated using a custom methodology of fMRIPrep. A deformation field to correct for susceptibility distortions was estimated based on fMRIPrep’s fieldmap-less approach. The deformation field is that resulting from co-registering the BOLD reference to the same-subject T1w-reference with its intensity inverted (Wang et al. 2017; Huntenburg 2014). Registration is performed with antsRegistration (ANTs 2.2.0), and the process regularized by constraining deformation to be nonzero only along the phase-encoding direction, and modulated with an average fieldmap template (Treiber et al. 2016). Based on the estimated susceptibility distortion, an unwarped BOLD reference was calculated for a more accurate co-registration with the anatomical reference. The BOLD reference was then co-registered to the T1w reference using flirt (FSL 5.0.9, Jenkinson and Smith 2001) with the boundary-based registration (Greve and Fischl 2009) cost-function. Co-registration was configured with nine degrees of freedom to account for distortions remaining in the BOLD reference. Head-motion parameters with respect to the BOLD reference (transformation matrices, and six corresponding rotation and translation parameters) are estimated before any spatiotemporal filtering using mcflirt (FSL 5.0.9, Jenkinson et al. 2002). The BOLD time-series (including slice-timing correction when applied) were resampled onto their original, native space by applying a single, composite transform to correct for head-motion and susceptibility distortions. These resampled BOLD time-series will be referred to as preprocessed BOLD in original space, or just preprocessed BOLD. The BOLD time-series were resampled into several standard spaces, correspondingly generating the following spatially-normalized, preprocessed BOLD runs: MNI152NLin2009cAsym, MNI152NLin6Asym. First, a reference volume and its skull-stripped version were generated using a custom methodology of fMRIPrep. Automatic removal of motion artifacts using independent component analysis (ICA-AROMA, Pruim et al. 2015) was performed on the preprocessed BOLD on MNI space time-series after removal of non-steady state volumes and spatial smoothing with an isotropic, Gaussian kernel of 6mm FWHM (full-width half-maximum). Corresponding “non-aggresively” denoised runs were produced after such smoothing. Additionally, the “aggressive” noise-regressors were collected and placed in the corresponding confounds file. Several confounding time-series were calculated based on the preprocessed BOLD: framewise displacement (FD), DVARS and three region-wise global signals. FD and DVARS are calculated for each functional run, both using their implementations in Nipype (following the definitions by Power et al. 2014). The three global signals are extracted within the CSF, the WM, and the whole-brain masks. Additionally, a set of physiological regressors were extracted to allow for component-based noise correction (CompCor, Behzadi et al. 2007). Principal components are estimated after high-pass filtering the preprocessed BOLD time-series (using a discrete cosine filter with 128s cut-off) for the two CompCor variants: temporal (tCompCor) and anatomical (aCompCor). tCompCor components are then calculated from the top 5% variable voxels within a mask covering the subcortical regions. This subcortical mask is obtained by heavily eroding the brain mask, which ensures it does not include cortical GM regions. For aCompCor, components are calculated within the intersection of the aforementioned mask and the union of CSF and WM masks calculated in T1w space, after their projection to the native space of each functional run (using the inverse BOLD-to-T1w transformation). Components are also calculated separately within the WM and CSF masks. For each CompCor decomposition, the k components with the largest singular values are retained, such that the retained components’ time series are sufficient to explain 50 percent of variance across the nuisance mask (CSF, WM, combined, or temporal). The remaining components are dropped from consideration. The head-motion estimates calculated in the correction step were also placed within the corresponding confounds file. The confound time series derived from head motion estimates and global signals were expanded with the inclusion of temporal derivatives and quadratic terms for each (Satterthwaite et al. 2013). Frames that exceeded a threshold of 0.5 mm FD or 1.5 standardised DVARS were annotated as motion outliers. All resamplings can be performed with a single interpolation step by composing all the pertinent transformations (i.e. head-motion transform matrices, susceptibility distortion correction when available, and co-registrations to anatomical and output spaces). Gridded (volumetric) resamplings were performed using antsApplyTransforms (ANTs), configured with Lanczos interpolation to minimize the smoothing effects of other kernels (Lanczos 1964). Non-gridded (surface) resamplings were performed using mri_vol2surf (FreeSurfer).

Hi @Shengdong_Chen, thanks for calling our attention to this.

In principle, CompCor and AROMA are independent and as such, there is no notion of which one should be performed first.

I agree though the text of the boilerplate can be improved. Please send us a draft showing how you would like to see this written, or even send us a pull-request changing it yourself if you feel brave.

Thanks very much
Oscar

Thanks for your comment. I misunderstood the order of ComCor and AROMA. I posted a flow chart based on my understanding. If there is any Error, please tell me.
In addition, am I right to say that ComCor just extracted the components related to physiological noises, but it did not change the normalized BOLD data, whereas AROMA did change the data?

This would be the “official” flowchart https://oesteban.github.io/ohbm19/#7. As you will see, you basically got it mostly right (head-motion estimation occurs before estimation of susceptibility distortions, and in both cases, it is just estimation). Regarding the bottom three boxes, that seems okay to me.

Correct as regards CompCor, partially true in the case of AROMA. The --use-aroma flag will generate two kinds of outputs: 1) -aggressive- noise components in the _confounds.tsv file, which you can use as nuisance regressors; and 2) non-aggresively denoised BOLD data. Normally, you will want to use either option 1 or option 2.

Many thanks for your help!