Qsiprep docker container killed during SynthSeg

Hi everyone!

Summary of what happened:

I am running qsiprep on diffusion mri data, using the open-source docker image pennbbl/qsiprep from docker.io/pennbbl/qsiprep. The container runs for 3 hours, creating desc-brain_mask.nii, desc-preproc_T1w.nii and others but is missing the following in the anat folder:

T1w_class-CSF_probtissue.nii.gz
T1w_class-GM_probtissue.nii.gz
T1w_class-WM_probtissue.nii.gz
T1w_dtissue.nii.gz
T1w_preproc.nii.gz

Instead of any of the asym folders, there is just one file that is titled sub___from-MN152NLin2009cAsym_to-T1w-mode-image_xfm.h5 with two accompanying matlab files and a text document with the same T1w-mode-image designation. This mode-image is not present in the documentation’s output, so I think it is an intermediate step that is not fully finishing.

All files that should be present in the dwi folder are present. (According to Preprocessing — qsiprep 0.21.5.dev16+gd9279db documentation)

Command used (and if a helper script was used, a link to the helper script or the command generated):

docker_cmd="docker run --rm \
        -v ${BIDS_DIR}:/data \
        -v ${OUTPUT_DIR}:/output \
        -v ${WORK_DIR}:/work \
        -v ${fs_license}:/fs_license.txt \
        docker.io/pennbbl/qsiprep"
# Whole command to run, appending specifics to the previous command
cmd="${docker_cmd} /data /output participant\
     --skip-bids-validation \
     --ignore fieldmaps \
     -w /work \
     --participant_label sub-${subj_id} \
     --output-resolution 2 \
     --unringing-method mrdegibbs \
     --n_cpus 5 \
     --fs-license-file /fs_license.txt"

Environment

docker and VS Code

Data formatted according to a validatable standard?

validated by https://bids-standard.github.io/bids-validator/ and only error is [Code 37] INTENDED_FOR which can be ignored by the argument ignore fieldmaps

Relevant log outputs (up to 20 lines):

QSIPrep failed: Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/opt/conda/envs/qsiprep/lib/python3.10/site-packages/nipype/pipeline/engine/nodes.py", line 771, in _run_command
    raise NodeExecutionError(msg)
nipype.pipeline.engine.nodes.NodeExecutionError: Exception raised while executing Node synthseg.

Cmdline:
        mri_synthseg --i /work/qsiprep_wf/single_subject_603s1_wf/anat_preproc_wf/pad_anat_reference_wf/resample_skulled_to_reference/sub-603s1_T1w_lps_trans.nii.gz --threads 1 --post sub-603s1_T1w_lps_trans_post.nii.gz --qc sub-603s1_T1w_lps_trans_qc.csv --o sub-603s1_T1w_lps_trans_aseg.nii.gz
Stderr:
        DeprecationWarning: `np.int` is a deprecated alias for the builtin `int`. 
        Deprecated in NumPy 1.20; for more details and guidance: https://numpy.org/devdocs/release/1.20.0-notes.html#deprecations
        DeprecationWarning: `np.float` is a deprecated alias for the builtin `float`. 
        Deprecated in NumPy 1.20; for more details and guidance: https://numpy.org/devdocs/release/1.20.0-notes.html#deprecations
        Killed
Traceback:
          File "/opt/conda/envs/qsiprep/lib/python3.10/site-packages/traits/base_trait_handler.py", line 74, in error
            raise TraitError(
        traits.trait_errors.TraitError: The 'out_post' trait of a _SynthSegOutputSpec instance must be a pathlike object or string representing an existing file, but a value of '/work/qsiprep_wf/single_subject_603s1_wf/anat_preproc_wf/synthseg_anat_wf/synthseg/sub-603s1_T1w_lps_trans_post.nii.gz' <class 'str'> was specified.

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

Traceback (most recent call last):
          File "/opt/conda/envs/qsiprep/lib/python3.10/site-packages/nipype/interfaces/base/core.py", line 460, in aggregate_outputs
            raise FileNotFoundError(msg)
        FileNotFoundError: No such file or directory '/work/qsiprep_wf/single_subject_603s1_wf/anat_preproc_wf/synthseg_anat_wf/synthseg/sub-603s1_T1w_lps_trans_post.nii.gz' for output 'out_post' of a SynthSeg interface

Screenshots / relevant information:

I tried running my next two scripts which 1. puts the output of qsiprep into a bids format and 2. runs reconstruction. The bids formatting file runs fine, but the reconstruction errors out.

I wonder if anyone knows of a better qsiprep docker container to run, one with python files with updated syntax. Or, if there is a way to access the scripts that the docker container pulls. I have attached a screenshot of the anat folder in case it is helpful to look at.

Any help is much appreciated!
Thank you so much,
Angelica

Hi @acrown,

What version are you using?

If you have multiple T1s in your subject directory, it may not zip the final preprocessed T1 into .gz. The desc-preproc_T1w.nii is your preprocessed T1.

These may not be output anymore because of changing to the SynthSeg software for tissue segmentation. Perhaps the documentation is outdated. Your *aseg_dseg.nii.gz will contain tissue segmentations.

I don’t think there are supposed to be folders, but yes some of the spatial normalization of files to MNI are skipped in more recent versions for efficiency. Again, looks like some outdated docs.

Those are expected outputs.

This indicates insufficient memory devoted to the job.

Best,
Steven

Hi @Steven,

Thank you for your response and help!

I am using the latest version of both VS Code and Docker Desktop.

Do you know how to designate more memory to the job? I have 12 CPUs available which is an amount I never manually set.

Thanks!
Angelica

Hi @acrown,

I was referring to the qsiprep version. The max memory you can set is limited by your machine specs. You can go into your docker desktop settings to change how much RAM docker has access to.

Best,
Steven

Hi @Steven,

Sorry I misunderstood, I am using an open-source docker image from Docker Hub, and it does not explicitly specify which version it is. https://hub.docker.com/r/pennbbl/qsiprep

I allocated more RAM to Docker Desktop and it was still killed.

Here is the error log:

Cmdline:
        mri_synthseg --i /work/qsiprep_wf/single_subject_604s2_wf/anat_preproc_wf/pad_anat_reference_wf/resample_skulled_to_reference/sub-604s2_T1w_lps_trans.nii.gz --threads 1 --post sub-604s2_T1w_lps_trans_post.nii.gz --qc sub-604s2_T1w_lps_trans_qc.csv --o sub-604s2_T1w_lps_trans_aseg.nii.gz
Stdout:

Stderr:
        DeprecationWarning: `np.int` is a deprecated alias for the builtin `int`. 
        DeprecationWarning: `np.float` is a deprecated alias for the builtin `float`. 
        Killed
Traceback:
          File "/opt/conda/envs/qsiprep/lib/python3.10/site-packages/nipype/interfaces/base/core.py", line 453, in aggregate_outputs
            setattr(outputs, key, val)
          File "/opt/conda/envs/qsiprep/lib/python3.10/site-packages/nipype/interfaces/base/traits_extension.py", line 330, in validate
            value = super(File, self).validate(objekt, name, value, return_pathlike=True)
          File "/opt/conda/envs/qsiprep/lib/python3.10/site-packages/nipype/interfaces/base/traits_extension.py", line 135, in validate
            self.error(objekt, name, str(value))
          File "/opt/conda/envs/qsiprep/lib/python3.10/site-packages/traits/base_trait_handler.py", line 74, in error
            raise TraitError(
        traits.trait_errors.TraitError: The 'out_seg' trait of a _SynthSegOutputSpec instance must be a pathlike object or string representing an existing file, but a value of '/work/qsiprep_wf/single_subject_604s2_wf/anat_preproc_wf/synthseg_anat_wf/synthseg/sub-604s2_T1w_lps_trans_aseg.nii.gz' <class 'str'> was specified.

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

File "/opt/conda/envs/qsiprep/lib/python3.10/site-packages/nipype/interfaces/base/core.py", line 400, in run
            outputs = self.aggregate_outputs(runtime)
          File "/opt/conda/envs/qsiprep/lib/python3.10/site-packages/nipype/interfaces/base/core.py", line 460, in aggregate_outputs
            raise FileNotFoundError(msg)
        FileNotFoundError: No such file or directory '/work/qsiprep_wf/single_subject_604s2_wf/anat_preproc_wf/synthseg_anat_wf/synthseg/sub-604s2_T1w_lps_trans_aseg.nii.gz' for output 'out_seg' of a SynthSeg interface

Do you have any ideas on what the issue may be?

Thank you so much for all your help!
Angelica

Hi @acrown,

You should be sure to specify the version in your command when you run, so it doesn’t automatically update when a new version is released (leading to inconsistencies across subjects), e.g., pennbbl/qsiprep:VERSION.

I don’t know how much RAM you have but it still looks like it is not enough. Do you have access to a computing cluster? If not I might recommend brainlife.io for cloud-based neuroimaging processing.

Best,
Steven

Thanks for all your help @Steven!

For people who have this issue in the future:
I increased n_cpus to 12 in the command I use and it works now.