Question about multisite BIDS dataset

Dear Community,

I hope you are doing well!

I am dealing with a multisite dataset and I would like to upload it to OpenNeuro.
Each subject has unique ID, so I would like to go with this option ‘Option 2: Combining sites/centers into one dataset’ specified on the website.

My issue is: how can I deal with different dataset_description.json files? I have some site-specific information that I would like to add (beyond the authors and funding) because I am also sharing some derivatives that are processed in a specific way.

I can create some information files for each site and ask BIDS validator to ignore it, but if there is a more elegant way to do it, I would be happy to do that.

Thank you so much!
Merve

Hi @meka,

You can just have one dataset_description.json (and one README) that collectively describes the whole study. There is a good deal of flexibility in what is allowed in those files (especially the README) such that you can put in as much information as necessary to help the readers get information about any and all sites.

I would not recommend that.

Best,
Steven

2 Likes

Hi @Steven ,

Thank you very much for the quick response! I will check that out and may possibly ask some more questions, I hope that is fine, but README seems like the best option for my case!

Thanks a lot again, I appreciate it.
Merve

1 Like

Note that this extension to bids (that goes more in the direction of option 1 with one dataset per site) make some recommendations that could help you organize some of the information for each site.

Am thinking of a studies.tsv file storing info for each site.

https://docs.google.com/document/u/0/d/1tFRNumQyIgjXBNC3brFDLO9FaikjL84noxK6Om-Ctik/mobilebasic

This is not vanilla bids and would have to be BIDS ignored but things would be more structured than in a Readme.

1 Like

Thank you very much!!