SBRef for dcm2bids

Hello,

I am new to using BIDS and was curious if there is some way to distinguish SBRef files from multi-band in your config.json, only using dcm2bids? Or would I be required to utilize an additional package for this?

Depending on how I write my config.json it is either reading SBRef DICOM folders as additional functional runs in BIDS output or ignoring functional data altogether, and producing a valid BIDS dataset, but without the func data.

Thanks,
Matt

Hi @mthurston,

The way to distinguish the two in your dcm2bids configuration file is through the modalityLabel. Here’s an example, using dcm2bids version 2.1.4:

{
         "dataType": "func",
         "modalityLabel": "sbref",
         "customLabels": "task-bart_run-01",
         "criteria": {
            "SidecarFilename": "006*"
         },
         "sidecarChanges": {
            "TaskName": "bart"
         }
      },
      {
         "dataType": "func",
         "modalityLabel": "bold",
         "customLabels": "task-bart_run-01",
         "criteria": {
            "SidecarFilename": "007*"
         },
         "sidecarChanges": {
            "TaskName": "bart"
         }
      },

Hmm, my modalityLabeling is correct but I think my sidecar variables are off. Will this cause the errors I’m getting? Will test this out when I get into work tomorrow! Thank you!

Yes, an incorrect SideCarFileName can lead to this issue. A sbref will be a single dicom that precedes the corresponding functional dicoms. So in addition to different modality labels, the SideCarFileName should also be different as well.

You can distinguish the multi-band 4D series from the associated 3D single-band reference image by looking for the tag MultibandAccelerationFactor - it is only present in the multi-band dataset, e.g.

"MultibandAccelerationFactor": 3,

Everything’s working great! Thank you!