Software release posts in #announcements getting caught by spam filters

Hi there,

Thank you for hosting and moderating such a lovely forum. :heart:

I am a maintainer for the Spinal Cord Toolbox software package. In the past, we have posted announcements of new releases without encountering any sort of issues (post search).

However, today, when making a new announcement post, I encountered the following error:

I am not sure which links this message is referring to. I tried removing links one by one, but I receive the pop-up message each time.

Additionally, when I first attempted to post today, I received 4 automated messages all at once, titled “Post hidden by community flags”.

As a result of being flagged, it looks like the posts for 4 previous announcements have all been hidden (v5.3, v5.4, v5.5, and v5.6). It seems like an automated system may have detected similarities across our announcement posts, then flagged our posts as spam.

Is there anything I can do to reinstate these posts (and avoid being flagged as spam in the future when making new announcements)?

Thank you kindly,
Joshua

Hi @joshuacwnewton ,

Thanks for noting this ! I’ve gone through and restored your posts (I believe, though this is my first time doing this, so please be patient if they don’t appear right away :pray: ).

It looks like you’ve run afoul of this setting :

This new user tried to create multiple posts with links to the same domain. All posts from this user that include links should be reviewed. See the newuser_spam_host_threshold site setting.

which an admin from INCF will need to control. From the general Discourse docs, however, it seems that this setting is designed to prevent spambots from joining a server and aggressively promoting content.

In general, I’d suggest that more diverse engagement on the forum (e.g., outside of announcing the new SCT versions ; which look very impressive ! :tada: ) is the best way to prevent your account from getting caught in this filter.

Take care,

Elizabeth

2 Likes

Hi Elizabeth,

Thank you so much for taking the time to investigate, for reinstating the older posts, and for the transparency about the error message. :heart:

Thankfully, I recently gained “Trust Level 1”, which I believe means I’m no longer a “new user”, and so hopefully I should safe from this “new_user_” filter? I will try posting once more, and I will try to engage in other areas of the forum in the future. :slightly_smiling_face:

Thank you again for your help and kindness!
Joshua

1 Like