The reason for scanning one of the term infants twice?

Hi everyone,

I noticed that one of the term infants (sub-CC00688XX21) from the dHCP dataset was scanned twice, the first scan was at 37.4 weeks of postmenstrual age and the second scan was at 41.6 weeks. Does anybody know the reason why that infant was scanned twice?
Thanks for your help in advance!

Kind Regards,
Huiqing

Hi @Huiqing_Hu,

I’m not sure if there is a specific reason this neonate was scanned twice, other than that babies born at earlier gestational ages (<37 weeks’ GA) were offered two scans (once around birth and the other around term equivalent age). The cutoff of <37 weeks’ GA isn’t a strict rule, and although 37.4 weeks’ GA is term, those neonates born between 37+0 - 38+6 weeks’ are defined as early term and have poorer outcomes than those born at 39+0 - 40+6 weeks’ (full-term). Here is an article about specific terminology.

I don’t imagine that this is the only term neonate that was scanned twice (although there will be far less term babies scanned twice than there are preterm babies that are scanned twice).

Does that help?

Logan

Hi Logan,

Thanks for your reply! That’s really helpful.

Sorry, I didn’t get what you mean that this isn’t the only term neonates that was scanned twice. I did find that some IDs of the neonates were quite similar, like the ‘sub-CC00466AN13’ and ‘sub-CC00466BN13’. Were the two scans from the same participants? Thank you!

Best,
Huiqing

Hi @Huiqing_Hu,

Those two IDs you have above are from a set of twins. You won’t be able to tell from the subject ID is a neonate has been scanned twice - you will need to see if there is more than one session ID (if there is, then they have been scanned twice).

Sorry for not being clear, I meant to say that I would be surprised if there was only 1 term neonate that had been scanned twice.

Best wishes,

Logan

Hi @lzjwilliams,

Oh, I see. I listed out all the resting-state fMRI data and I only found this term infant (born at or after 37 weeks GA) that scanned twice. Please let me know if I am wrong.

Thanks again,
Huiqing

Ah okay, perhaps I am thinking about all dHCP scans, which is different from the 3rd release.

Best wishes,

Logan