Trouble registering fmriprep output surfaces to fsLR space

Summary of what happened:

Hello,

I am just starting with surface based analysis of BOLD data. I am trying to resample and register the midthickness.surf.gii files (generated by fmriprep) into fsLR space. I have run fmriprep using the appropriate flags (i.e. --cifti-output 91k, --output-spaces T1w fsLR MNI152NLin2009cAsym, --project-goodvoxels).

Now I am using the command below in order to resample the output into fsLR 32k space. The mesh resolution changes accordingly (32492 vertices), but the mithickness surface is still registered to the individual T1w image instead of the fsLR template. I check this by loading the templateflow fsLR_den-32k_hemi-L_midthickness surface file (blue in the screenshot below) vs. my output (green in the screenshot below).

I have tried to use _hemi-L_space-fsLR_desc-reg_sphere.surf.gii or _hemi-L_space-fsLR_desc-msmsulc_sphere.surf.gii as target spheres (according to the fmriprep documentation these should be used to generate fsLR outpus), however, the output remains to be registered to the individual T1w space instead of fsLR.

To me it seems like I a missing a step, e.g. when I move from template to T1w space for volumetric data, I have to apply a transform to the data. Is this necessary for surface data as well?

Thank you!

Command used (and if a helper script was used, a link to the helper script or the command generated):

wb_command -surface-resample 
/path_to_fmriprep_anat_folder/_hemi-L_midthickness.surf.gii # in_file
/path_to_fmriprep_anat_folder/_hemi-L_sphere.surf.gii # current sphere
/templateflow/tpl-fsLR/tpl-fsLR_den-32k_hemi-L_sphere.surf.gii # target sphere
BARYCENTRIC
/path_to_fmriprep_anat_folder/output.surf.gii # out_file

Version:

fmriprep 24.0.0
wb_command 1.5.0

Screenshots / relevant information:

blue: fsLR templateflow template, green: midthickness resampled via command above.

Hi @jAchtzehn,

If you look in the templateflow folder for the fsLR template, you should see spheres for the 32k density fsLR space you can use for registration.

Best,
Steven

Hello @Steven,

thank you for your response. I made a mistake in my original post (now corrected), the command I am using is:

wb_command -surface-resample 
/path_to_fmriprep_anat_folder/_hemi-L_midthickness.surf.gii # in_file
/path_to_fmriprep_anat_folder/_hemi-L_sphere.surf.gii # current sphere
/templateflow/tpl-fsLR/tpl-fsLR_den-32k_hemi-L_sphere.surf.gii # target sphere
BARYCENTRIC
/path_to_fmriprep_anat_folder/output.surf.gii # out_file

So I am already using the sphere provided by templateflow fsLR template as a target sphere, right? I still get the mismatch in registration though.

If I load the templateflow midthickness surface (left side) and my output (right side) in wb_view, I get the following results, showing the mismatch.