Using ICA-AROMA after preprocessing

Hello,

I hope this message finds you well. I’m reaching out regarding our ongoing project where we have a dataset comprising both young and older participants, with 80 individuals in each group. We have already completed the preprocessing phase for the young subjects’ data. However, upon reviewing our ROI, it appears that incorporating ICA-AROMA might enhance our analysis. Given this, I have a couple of queries:

1. Is it feasible to integrate ICA-AROMA towards the end of the processing pipeline for our young participants? This approach would prevent the need to rerun the entire preprocessing. If this proves successful, we could then process the older subjects’ data without ICA-AROMA initially and subsequently add ICA-AROMA at the end.

2. OR, should we include ICA-AROMA as part of the standard preprocessing pipeline for our older participants and then reprocess the young subjects’ data from scratch to incorporate ICA-AROMA?

I would greatly appreciate your insights or suggestions on the best course of action. Thank you for your assistance!

Best regards.

If you target the MNI152NLin6Asym output space, you can use ICA-AROMA as described by the tool’s own documentation. It is no longer included in fMRIPrep and will not be re-added.

We do have the stub of a repository for writing a workflow that runs ICA-AROMA on an fMRIPrep derivative dataset: GitHub - nipreps/fmripost-aroma: Run ICA-AROMA on fMRIPrep derivatives Please feel free to contribute to that, if you would like to see it happen sooner.

1 Like

Thanks very much for a quick response!